Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (Revised…

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (Revised Edition) (edition 2015)

by Jesse Andrews (Author)

Seventeen-year-old Greg has managed to become part of every social group at his Pittsburgh high school without having any friends, but his life changes when his mother forces him to befriend Rachel, a girl he once knew in Hebrew school who has leukemia.
Member:Erikapayne
Title:Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (Revised Edition)
Authors:Jesse Andrews (Author)
Info:Amulet Books (2015), Edition: Media Tie In, 304 pages
Tags:leather

Work Information

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

English (107)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (109)
I like this book a lot. I was surprised by how relatable the male protagonist, Greg, was. It takes two classic tropes: Boy meets girl and the terminally sick romance trope and blends them together without romanticizing the fact that Rachel is dying. It does a much better job at this than some other books *cough cough the faults in our stars* and I really like it. The ending is sad, but ties the gaps between all the characters, dead or alive, very well. ( )
  LilySmyth23 | Nov 4, 2021 |
Greg is a high school senior. He doesn't really fit into any of the cliques at school, so he tries to fly under the radar by essentially hovering at the edges of ALL the cliques. He's actually maybe a little nerdy, somewhat overweight, and tries a bit too hard to be funny. He and his sort-of friend Earl have found common ground in that they both enjoy movies, especially odd little-known movies, and they've been making their own not-very-good movies for a while now. Then Greg finds out that a girl he casually knows has leukemia, and his mom asks him to start hanging out with her. Though he's not really too fired up about it, he does so, but it kind of messes up his whole plans for senior year.

This is a young adult novel, written by a guy. Lots of people seem to have loved it, or at least liked it a lot. Though it sounds like it's probably a serious book with serious subject matter, it's more of a comedy with serious undertones. Except that I didn't find it all that funny. Yes, there were funny parts that were enjoyable, but for the most part, I felt like the author was trying way too hard to be funny, and it came across to me as annoying more than humorous. After finishing the book, I immediately watched the movie adaptation. In this case, I felt the movie was MUCH better than the book. Which is odd, because Jesse Andrews (the author) did write the screenplay for the movie. Which leads me to believe he's better at writing movies than books. ( )
  indygo88 | Oct 6, 2021 |
Good book. One of the only YA books I've ever read with a male protagonist that felt remotely realistic. ( )
  LimeadeIsLife | Sep 25, 2021 |
Second read: 10 July 2015

First read: 17 January 2014
This was an enjoyable read from start to finish. The narrator, Greg Gaines, is "dodging High School bullets" trying to finish his last year of school unnoticed but failing at that when his mother tells him that he had to try and be friends with a girl who had cancer and whom he barely knew. He and his friend Earl start hanging out with Rachel (the dying girl) and show her their homemade films (which they kept secret from everybody) in an effort to cheer her up.
This book made me laugh and almost cry. It made me think about some things I've never noticed before and to me, books like this are great. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
I can't decide if I liked this book or not. I have similar feelings to Greg, the narrator. Some parts were funny and enjoyable, but others were kind of blah. I, like Greg, felt like I never really got to know any of the characters, especially Rachel (the dying girl).

The best parts of the book in my opinion were the descriptions of the films Greg and Earl made together, with the exception of the Rachel movie. You're right, Greg. It sounds awful. But as a huge film buff, I liked the script formatting and the movie remakes. It made this YA novel something different.

I don't know exactly what I wanted from this book. I guess for something to happen? Not like a romance between Greg and Rachel, or some kind of lifelong bond between Earl and Greg. I like how both of those storylines played out. I like that Earl called Greg out. The book gave me major Catcher in the Rye vibes at times, which could be the reason I didn't really enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

All in all, if you are looking for something different in YA without the cheesy romance or perfect happy ending, and you're not opposed to jizz jokes and accidental edible ingestion, give this one a go. ( )
  CarleyShea | Sep 16, 2021 |
So in order to understand everything that happened, you have to start from the premise that high school sucks.

Egy ​​kis barátságba még nem halt bele senki.
Greg Gaines, a különc kamasz mindent megtesz, hogy bármelyik iskolai társaságban elvegyüljön, vagyis láthatatlan maradjon. Egyetlen barátja van, Earl, akivel kultikus művészfilmekért rajonganak, és szabadidejükben nagy lelkesedéssel és minimális tehetséggel újraforgatják a kedvenceiket.
Egy nap az édesanyja ráveszi Greget, hogy élessze újra barátságát Rachellel.
Rachelnél leukémiát diagnosztizáltak, és Greg eleve hadilábon áll a lányokkal, de anyja utasításának kénytelen engedelmeskedni. Ráadásul, hogy felvidítsa Rachelt, Earllel kamerát ragad, és így nem csak a valaha készült legrosszabb film születik meg, hanem fordulópont jön el mindannyiuk életében.

Jesse Andrews Pittsburghben született, de sok helyen élt már San Sebastiántól Berlinen át Los Angelesig. Regényíró, zenész és forgatókönyvíró. A Harvardon végzett, később írt úti beszámolókat, dolgozott idegenvezetőként és egy német diákszálló recepciósaként. Az Én meg Earl, és a csaj, aki meg fog halni az első regénye.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,405,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible