dismiss

Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy…

Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good

by Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith changed filmmaking forever when he was 24 with the release of Clerks, and since then has gone on to make nine more profitable movies, run his own production company, write a best selling graphic novel, and have a beautiful wife and kids. So he must be doing something right. Tough Sh*t distills his four decades of breaking all the rules down to direct and brutally honest advice on how to get the most out of life while doing the least.… (more)

I’m a geek, a comic nerd, I love pop culture and so does Kevin Smith. Having grown up about the same time Kevin Smith did I can relate to his movies and many of the stories he wrote in this book. Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good is a glimpse of where Kevin has been and where he is going while also passing along so great advice for anyone that wants to enjoy life. That advice is simple, do what you love and enjoy yourself. It was also fun to read about the movies Kevin has made and how why he stopped making movies and turned to podcasting instead. Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good is a short and easy to read book that will make any geek or nerd smile a little and relate to the stories within. ( )
  Shack70 | Feb 23, 2020 |
If you are a Kevin Smith fan, you'll dig this book. If you have no idea who Kevin Smith is, but like intelligent hilarity even if it is overrun with profanity and bodily fluids, you'll also dig this book. Otherwise steer clear.

I have been a Kevin Smith fan ever since I saw Clerks in a tiny Budapest art movie theater. I like dude-humor, the honesty of it. It is odd because I am not a fan of pointless cursing. But Kevin Smith and his bros have a way of twisting that language in creative, hilarious and honest ways. They tell it like it is, the cursing is not the punch line, and they don't use it to put people down with it.

Silent Bob tells stories of his life, how he made Clerks on credit cards, dishes about Miramax, Tarantino, Bruce Willis, and the movie business that spends four times as much on marketing than the actual cost of the movie. He talks lovingly and with a hard-on about his wife, sharing way too much gross personal detail yet somehow managing to be touching.

What I like most about his movies is that despite the non-stop profanity, they somehow manage to be touching and human. And hilarious. This book delivers the same, especially the audio, which Smith narrates himself. I loved it! ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
One night, before going out, Kevin Smith asks his wife "Can I stare at your asshole while I jack off?"

So depending on your reaction to that line, you can judge your potential interest in this tome.

Kevin Smith is, uh, an interesting fellow. Well, what I can I say? He was one of the voices of a generation. You look at the nineties and people think Quentin Tarantino, Spike Lee, and Kevin Smith. The guy is, at heart, a storyteller. I could listen to him talk about Superman and the Giant Spider all day.

And that's what this book is. You get to hear how he met his wife, the making/publication of Red State, the Southwest "too fat to fly" fiasco, the up and down relationship with The Weinstein Company. The nice thing about Smith is he's able to admit his wrongs and justify his rights. He never assumes he's the smartest guy in the room and always gets feedback on if he's showing his own ass (because that's easy to do when your content consists of stinkpalming stoners and Carlin-esque religion satire).

The book is equal combinations of crudeness and heart, black humor and childlike wonder. It's a good book for insight on the Hollywood scene, especially for potential indie film-makers. And it gives more inspiration that "you can make it" than "this is how to make it" (which is really all luck more than anything). ( )
  theWallflower | Nov 2, 2017 |
Kevin Smith is a god. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Kevin Smith is a god. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Like its author, this book is dedicated to Jen Schwalbach...
I am a product of Don Smith's balls.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,276,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible