Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy…

Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good

by Kevin Smith

If you are a Kevin Smith fan, you'll dig this book. If you have no idea who Kevin Smith is, but like intelligent hilarity even if it is overrun with profanity and bodily fluids, you'll also dig this book. Otherwise steer clear.

I have been a Kevin Smith fan ever since I saw Clerks in a tiny Budapest art movie theater. I like dude-humor, the honesty of it. It is odd because I am not a fan of pointless cursing. But Kevin Smith and his bros have a way of twisting that language in creative, hilarious and honest ways. They tell it like it is, the cursing is not the punch line, and they don't use it to put people down with it.

Silent Bob tells stories of his life, how he made Clerks on credit cards, dishes about Miramax, Tarantino, Bruce Willis, and the movie business that spends four times as much on marketing than the actual cost of the movie. He talks lovingly and with a hard-on about his wife, sharing way too much gross personal detail yet somehow managing to be touching.

What I like most about his movies is that despite the non-stop profanity, they somehow manage to be touching and human. And hilarious. This book delivers the same, especially the audio, which Smith narrates himself. I loved it! ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
One night, before going out, Kevin Smith asks his wife "Can I stare at your asshole while I jack off?"

So depending on your reaction to that line, you can judge your potential interest in this tome.

Kevin Smith is, uh, an interesting fellow. Well, what I can I say? He was one of the voices of a generation. You look at the nineties and people think Quentin Tarantino, Spike Lee, and Kevin Smith. The guy is, at heart, a storyteller. I could listen to him talk about Superman and the Giant Spider all day.

And that's what this book is. You get to hear how he met his wife, the making/publication of Red State, the Southwest "too fat to fly" fiasco, the up and down relationship with The Weinstein Company. The nice thing about Smith is he's able to admit his wrongs and justify his rights. He never assumes he's the smartest guy in the room and always gets feedback on if he's showing his own ass (because that's easy to do when your content consists of stinkpalming stoners and Carlin-esque religion satire).

The book is equal combinations of crudeness and heart, black humor and childlike wonder. It's a good book for insight on the Hollywood scene, especially for potential indie film-makers. And it gives more inspiration that "you can make it" than "this is how to make it" (which is really all luck more than anything). ( )
  theWallflower | Nov 2, 2017 |
Kevin Smith is a god. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Kevin Smith is a god. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This book was AWESOME!!!! I have always enjoyed Kevin Smith as a filmmaker and have watched a few YouTube videos of his Q&A's. So, I kinda knew what to expect. I decided to take the lazy route and listen to the audio book which lucky me was narrated by Kevin Smith! And he is awesome!! It is like having a little chat with him, sure you don't get to talk, but it is a great convo!

Who knew Kevin would be so insightful? Made me want to get off my duff and do more work with my art mostly because I do not have much of an excuse for not doing it. I feel anyone in the arts should check this book out because it is a rather inspiring kick in the pants from an unlikely source!

I loved the honesty and the general FU to the corporate machine that is the entertainment industry. It is great to hear someone else with the view that it is more important to share the art than fill the coffers.

I may have to add Kevin to my list of Directors I not so secretly crush upon. He may even be tied with Quentin Tarantino! Well, a close second cause really who can compete with QT?

Silent Bob always prolific when he chooses to use his words! It will be a sad day when he finally does hang up his director's cap!

grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Like its author, this book is dedicated to Jen Schwalbach...
I am a product of Don Smith's balls.

Take one look at Kevin Smith: He's a balding fatty who wears a hockey jersey, shorts and slippers year-round. Not a likely source for life advice. But take a second look: He changed filmmaking forever when he was 24 with the release of Clerks, and since then has gone on to make nine more profitable movies, runs his own production company, wrote a bestselling graphic novel, and has a beautiful wife and kids. So he must be doing something right. As Kevin's Twitter followers and podcast listeners know, he's the first one to admit his flaws and the last one to care about them. In early 2011, he began using his platform to answer big questions from fans, and he discovered that he had a lot to say. This book distills his four decades of breaking all the rules down to direct and brutally honest advice.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,901,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible