HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1) by…

The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1) (edition 2012)

by Stephen Baxter

Series: The Long Earth (1)

3,6301833,036 (3.57)2 / 151
1916: The Western Front. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong and the wind in the leaves. Where have the mud, blood, and blasted landscape of no-man's-land gone? For that matter, where has Percy gone? 2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Police officer Monica Jansson is exploring the burned-out home of a reclusive--some say mad, others allege dangerous--scientist who seems to have vanished. Sifting through the wreckage, Jansson find a curious gadget: a box containing some rudimentary wiring, a three-way switch, and a potato. It is the prototype of an invention that will change the way humankind views the world forever. The "stepper" enables a person using it to step sideways into another America, another wherever that person happened to be, another Earth. And if the person using it keeps on stepping, they keep on entering even more Earths. This is the Long Earth. And the further away a stepper travels, the stranger -- and sometimes more dangerous -- the Earths become.… (more)
Member:johnnycastrup
Title:The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
Authors:Stephen Baxter
Info:Harper, Kindle Edition, 336 pages

Work Information

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

The Long Mars by Terry Pratchett (chwiggy)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (sturlington)
    sturlington: The concept of The Long Earth reminded me of the wood between the worlds.
    Dodger by Terry Pratchett (chwiggy)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (sandpiper)
    sandpiper: Wonderful science fiction classic about a man who keeps reliving his life.
    Ring Around the Sun by Clifford D. Simak (Gateaupain)

English (182)  French (1)  All languages (183)
I'm not usually a fan of books that end on obvious cliffhangers without satisfying the main plot, and the characters in this book didn't always grab me. Despite the flaws, I found the concept of an infinite number of easily accessible Earths (and the problems therein) so compelling that I'll probably pick up the next one (The Long War) and keep on reading. Definitely a "world building" book, but Pratchett is a good enough writer that I'll give the benefit of getting more into the meat of it all in the next one. ( )
  ajhackwith | Jan 3, 2023 |
More accurate to say written by Stephen Baxter. There's very little Pratchett in this unfortunately ( )
  martialalex92 | Dec 10, 2022 |
great book for a sci-fi lover. Tickles your grey cells. ( )
  Ethel_Bleu | Aug 8, 2022 |
Ugh. Boring! I really love Terry Pratchett, but this one's a snooze fest. It didn't help that he based it in my hometown either. I get distracted when the setting is all wrong (and yes I know he apologized in the Afterword, but still...) ( )
  Carmentalie | Jun 4, 2022 |

Leggi la mia recensione sul
blog!
IG: @louchobi
  louchobi | May 12, 2022 |
The Long Earth is a short read: the pages riffle past and there's much to enjoy. The dialogue is a bit Hollywood 101, and much of it is characters explaining things to other characters, sometimes at great length ("Why are you telling me all this?" Joshua asks at one point, with apparent ingenuousness). But it's a charming, absorbing and somehow spacious piece of imagineering for all that.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Adam Roberts (Jun 20, 2012)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baxter, Stephenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, Michael FentonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lyn and Rhianna, as always
T.P.

For Sandra
S.B.
In a forest glade:
Private Percy woke up to birdsong.

1916: the Western Front, France. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong, and the wind in the leaves in the trees. Where has the mud, blood and blasted landscape of No man's Land gone?

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Cop Monica Jansson has returned to the burned-out home of one Willis Linsay, a reclusive and some said mad, others dangerous, scientist. It was arson but, as is often the way, the firemen seem to have caused more damage than the fire itself. Stepping through the wreck of a house, there's no sign of any human remains but on the mantelpiece Monica finds a curious gadget - a box, containing some wiring, a three-way switch and a...potato. It is the prototype of an invention that Linsay called a 'stepper'. An invention he put up on the web for all the world to see, and use, an invention that would to change the way mankind viewed his world Earth for ever. And that's an understatement if ever there was one...

...because the stepper allowed the person using it to step sideways into another America, another Earth, and if you kept on stepping, you kept on entering even more Earths...this is the Long Earth. It's not our Earth but one of chain of parallel worlds, lying side by side each differing from its neighbour by really very little (or actually quite a lot). It's an infinite chain, offering 'steppers' an infinite landscape of infinite possibilities. And the further away you travel, the stranger - and sometimes more dangerous - the Earths get. The sun and moon always shine, the basic laws of physics are the same. However, the chance events which have shaped our particular Earth, such as the dinosaur-killer asteroid impact, might not have happened and things may well have turned out rather differently.

But, until Willis Linsay invented his stepper, only our Earth hosted mankind...or so we thought. Because it turns out there are some people who are natural 'steppers', who don't need his invention and now the great migration has begun

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,617,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible