Full Blooded (Jessica McClain Book 1) by…

Full Blooded (Jessica McClain Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Amanda Carlson (Author)

Member:Spurts
Title:Full Blooded (Jessica McClain Book 1)
Authors:Amanda Carlson (Author)
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: 1, 346 pages
Collections:Sampling, Your library
Tags:sample-to-read-now-only-preorder

Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson

I'm torn on my rating for this. Think of it as 2-1/2 out of 5 stars. The reason I rated it lower is because this book badly needs an editor. There are many careless typos and grammatical errors and those take away from my reading enjoyment.

Here's what I did like: the main character. I liked her very much. In her world weres are male only so when she was born there was an uproar. But she never changed so gradually the furor around her calmed down and she was able to leave Pack and live her own life, albeit a life in disguise. Then, out of nowhere, when she's 26, she changes. Instead of weeping over her lost life or, worse, stubbornly refusing to accept her new reality and therefore endangering not only herself but everyone around her, Jess deals with it. She's very practical that way and I really like that about her.

I also really like that there's no love triangle, no instance of "ooh, everyone is in loooooove with the new ladywolf" nonsense. Her friends are her friends, her pack is her pack, and her lover is her lover. (This book also has a very refreshing attitude toward sex. Jess has a casual encounter with someone and they both accept it as fulfilling their needs and having a good time. I love that!)

(Provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Decent werewolf story. Kept me interested enough I'll continue with the series. ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
Jessica is the only full-blooded female werewolf in her pack, something that has never been seen before. When she starts displaying abilities no one else has, interest and suspicion of her rises. When a vampire mercenary comes to town to discover the truth about her, Jessica finds herself in the middle of a war.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 14, 2017 |
*Book source ~ NetGalley

Jessica McClain was born the only female in a male dominated race of shifters. Sharing a special bond with her twin Tyler didn’t make things any easier. Her very existence created unease and outright fear due to an ancient prophecy. When she didn’t change in her teens the tension died down somewhat. However, ten years after she should have shifted she suddenly does shift becoming the only full-blooded female werewolf ever known to exist. Only she isn’t exactly a werewolf like her father and brother. She’s something else. With factions gunning to either kidnap or kill her, it’s no longer a question of whether she should exist, but whether she can stay alive long enough to figure out why she exists.

*sigh* This story had so much promise. It was a little rocky in the beginning, but I can overlook that in a first novel. However, when it degenerated down into a stinking pool of ridiculousness I had to cry foul. Its crimes:
1. Trying too hard to be badass
2. Exposition in the middle of a fight as if your enemy is just going to stand around with his thumb up his ass while you talk and talk and talk and, for the love of all that’s holy, talk some more.
3. Yelling at people that time is of the essence and there’s no time to talk about her change when the police are on the way and there’s a dead body in her apartment!!!!! then her dad calls and all of a sudden she wants long winded answers RIGHT NOW by gum! *petulantly stomps foot*
4. Insta-love
5. Badass insta-love interest turns into dumbass insta-love interest because Jessica is all that
6. Jessica is so very speshul but no explanation is really given as to the speshulness
7. formulaic writing

I’m done. No more of this series for me. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Nov 11, 2016 |
4.5/5
This was a pretty sleek, edgy and action-packed urban fantasy, and I breezed through it in a matter of hours.

You will have no problem loving Jessica if you are a fan of urban fantasy. She is a tough girl who's got guts, and the whole series is written in the spirit of early Kelley Armstrong and Rachel Vincent.

She comes from a strong pack of werewolves, a bit of a freak because she is a girl in a society where a woman giving birth to a girl is an extreme rarity and she defies rules as she chooses to live alone and work as a private detective to get away from the family oppressive love and the pack's paranoia and fear of the unknown.

Suddenly she experiences her first shift which is another thing that does not happen - women do not become werewolves, and everything in her life goes to hell. Her own pack is divided in loyalty over a strange old prophecy; wolves from other packs are hunting her down; a suspicious policeman investigates her and a famous assassin is hired to kill her. On top of it all, her abilities grow not quite like anything she's ever known.

Carlson's world-building is similar to Armstrong's in regard of all nature of paranormals existing in it, but it's also very different, and we gradually find out about this or that species.

Overall, I predict a very successful series despite a minor issue of instalove between two main characters closer to the end. This is my major pet peeve in shifters books - all that finding a perfect mate and bonding instantly stuff... To me it just sounds like a cheat sheet to a relationship.

However, it only raises its ugly head right in the end and as such doesn't have time to annoy the reader too much. The ending itself is rather abrupt which is another thing that made me drop the rating of the book slightly. Otherwise, it's very much recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
For Bill, Paige, Nat & Jane
I drew in a ragged breath and tried hard to surface from one hell of a nightmare.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316205206, Paperback)

It's not easy being a girl. It's even harder when you're the only girl in a family of werewolves. But it's next to impossible when your very existence spells out the doom of your race... Meet Jessica McClain -- she just became part of the pack.

In the vein of Kelley Armstrong and Patricia Briggs, a new urban fantasy that rewrites the werewolf myth...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

"It's not easy being a girl. It's even harder when you're the only girl in a family of werewolves. But it's next to impossible when your very existence spells out the doom of your race"--P. [4] of cover.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Amanda Carlson's book Full Blooded was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible