A dance with dragons : dreams and dust by…

A dance with dragons : dreams and dust (original 2011; edition 2012)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (5, part 1 of 2)

1,1111913,793 (4.11)19
HBO's hit series A GAME OF THRONES is based on George R R Martin's internationally bestselling series A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, the greatest fantasy epic of the modern age. A DANCE WITH DRAGONS: DREAMS AND DUST is the FIRST part of the fifth volume in the series. 'Richly satisfying and utterly engrossing' Sunday Times In the aftermath of a colossal battle, new threats are emerging from every direction. Tyrion Lannister, having killed his father, and wrongfully accused of killing his nephew, King Joffrey, has escaped from King's Landing with a price on his head. To the north lies the great Wall of ice and stone - a structure only as strong as those guarding it. Eddard Stark's bastard son Jon Snow has been elected 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. But Jon has enemies both inside and beyond the Wall. And in the east Daenerys Targaryen struggles to hold a city built on dreams and dust.… (more)
Member:cottagelibrary
Title:A dance with dragons : dreams and dust
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:London : Harper Voyager, 2012.
Collections:Completed

A Dance With Dragons 1: Dreams and Dust by George R. R. Martin (2011)

Recently added byreading_michelle, cucumber_forever, private library, Paulalinke, lethalda

English (17)  Dutch (2)  All languages (19)
1 ( )
  ejmw | Aug 4, 2021 |
← Part 5

“Agh! My face! You stabbed me in the face!” I cried, having just been stabbed in my face. I wondered whether having a longsword driven hilt-deep into one's head would leave a scar. Probably. I risked opening my eyes and found myself stood outside Blackwell's, just as I had been a little while earlier, and without a sword in my face, just as I had been a little while earlier.

I peeked into the window of the bookshop and noticed a dashingly handsome young man in there talking to the guy behind the counter. And behind the handsome guy there was me, waiting to purchase a book or three.

“Well!” I thought out loud, “This is a little discombobulating!” Still, it made sense. I had a lot to get done today and precious little time to do it; tearing a hole in the space time continuum and allowing myself to do two things simultaneously was the easiest solution, especially if the alternative was getting out of bed before midday. Maybe now I'd have time to finish A Dance with Dragons, or at least the first part of it. It was shaping up a bit like the earlier two-parter A Storm of Swords, GRR Martin's slow-build-up writing style not helping the first part of any of his novels that have been sliced in twain.

A slightly more mercenary benefit of my being back in the same time occurred to me and I tried to recall if I'd learnt anything important from the first time around. I had, alas, utterly neglected to memorise that night's lottery numbers. Probably because I'd been distracted by that traffic accident that I'd seen happen just outside the shop. A little annoyed that I couldn't get much benefit from my accidental time travel, I stared sullenly at the pavement and stepped out into the road.

Part 7 → ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |
← Part 5

Part 7 → ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This book is the first half of the fifth instalment of A Song of Ice and Fire. In my opinion, this book does not reach the heights of the preceding books in the series, but then the author seems to save the big climactic events for the end of each instalment so I look forward to the second half. I was concerned that as the events in this book paralleled those of the immediately preceding book, A Feast for Crows, that a lot of the mystery would be gone, but I was pleasantly surprised, especially when it came to the fate of Davos Seaworth and Theon Greyjoy. I still thought it deserved 4 stars as the writing is so good. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Feb 9, 2018 |
The night was rank with the smell of man.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,220,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible