At Peace

by Kristen Ashley

Series: The 'Burg (2)

21319104,354 (4.16)None
Fiction.Romance.HTML:

Violet Winters once had it all but lost it when her husband was murdered by a criminal madman. During a cold winter night Violet has to leave her warm bed to tell her neighbor to turn the music down. And that's when she meets sinister, scarred, scarily attractive security specialist, Joe Callahan.

She wants to deny it, but Violet can't beat back the hunger she feels for Joe so she gives in again and again. Feeling it himself, Joe feeds Vi's hunger, breaking his own rules to keep her in his bed.

Even though Violet had only one man in her life, she's sure Joe is giving her the signals and Vi decides she's ready to take a second chance at life and, maybe, love. But Violet doesn't know the dark secrets in Joe's past, secrets so soul-wrenching, they've drained him dry. With nothing left to give, Joe's determined to live his life alone and he breaks Violet's heart.

Crushed by Joe's betrayal, Violet comes to terms with the fact that, no matter what signals he gave, Joe was not theirs to win. But Violet's husband's murderer is obsessed with her and heartbreak again haunts the door of the Winters home. When it does Joe is forced to face the knowledge that he can't fight Violet's pull, she's under his skin and filled him full to bursting.

Joe needs to win her back and put his life on the line to keep Violet safe. But, having had it all once, can Violet endure losing Joe?

… (more)

I don't like the way Joe treated Vi for the first 35% of the book, i get his past gives him issues but i hated the way he was with her. That said once he gets his head on right, its an emotional read.

Poor Mike, the first time i read it i almost felt she would have been better off with him but on re-read you can see how protective he is of Vi and her girls.

Got to be honest, have trouble liking Joe/ Cal at times, he hurts Vi, twice, the second time is really bad as it hurts the girls too.

I feel so sorry for Mike... i understand he gets his own book and his own HEA but 'poor Mike'. When Joe finally sorts himself out his is fab but i don't think i would have held out for him. I know he is a broken soul but he is also cruel and mean, early on,and he disappears for two months even though he knows the danger Vi is in.

There are real emotional scenes in this book, when they have news of Sam, its a heart breaker.
It also has some funny moments, cal's receptionist is funny. And there are clever pieces to Kristen's writing which show true genius, the time her dad turns up and asks who is Cal as they have all been calling him as Joe.
We are also introduced to Benny and Frankie which is a later book.
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
I'm going to start by saying that the 'hero' was a real pain in this at first. I actually found myself rooting for the other guy (I didn't get the feeling that Joe/Cal deserved to get the girl after all the s*** he put her through).

Violet deserved to be happy but I just didn't feel that Joe earned her love. They were all hot and heavy and then all of a sudden it was going to be permanent. I enjoyed it...but I didn't enjoy it. ( )
  Damiella | Aug 18, 2020 |
Another hit

Life ceases to exist when I fall into a KA world. She writes the best alphaman. Just the perfect balance of growly and possessive balanced with support and love.Loved seeing how get his life full again. Truly touching. Violet had just as much unluck but she stayed positive and loving unconditionally.This is why they both work so well together. Loved the girls and their connection with their mom.

Just basically a fantastic book. ( )
  MagicalRi | Dec 22, 2019 |
Joe is a jerk and only the physical chemistry kept Violet coming back for more. She ran when killer killed her husband then targeted her with his obsession. She has a heart of gold but doesn't deserve that treatment. The other man she's dating I liked much more for her. He treated her right from day one he met her. Joe's had a hard life but I hate that being an excuse why I should forgive him being so nasty the first part of the story, even if in the end he's everything I would want for that family.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
This book is in my top 5. I reread it at least 4 times a year. Joe and Violet are 2 of my favorite characters ever written. The two of them have been through do much and they were destined to be together in the end. They had to go through their ups and downs to get there. This book had suspense, was totally hot, full level alphaness, amazing secondary characters and was funny! I love Kristen Ashley and I cannot wait to read the rest of this series!!! ( )
  Kellylynn22 | Mar 24, 2019 |

Fiction.Romance.HTML:

Violet Winters and her daughters once had it all, but lost it when Lieutenant Tim Winters was murdered by a criminal madman.

Over a year later, during a cold winter night, cop's widow, Violet, has to leave her warm bed to tell her neighbor to turn the music down.

She wants to deny it, but she can't beat back the hunger she feels for Joe so she gives in again, and again, and again. Feeling it himself, Joe feeds Vi's hunger, breaking his own rules to keep her in his bed.

But Violet doesn't know the dark secrets in Joe's past, secrets so soul-wrenching, they've drained him dry. With nothing left to give, Joe's determined to live his life alone. Even after Vi discovers Joe's secrets, and she and her girls try to fill him up, Joe remains unwavering and he breaks Violet, and her daughter's, hearts.

Crushed by Joe's betrayal, Violet and her girls come to terms with the fact that, no matter what signals he gave, Joe is not theirs to win.

But Violet's husband's murderer is obsessed with her and heartbreak again haunts the door of the Winters girls. When it does Joe is forced to face the knowledge that he can't fight their combined pull, they've gotten under his skin and filled him full to bursting.

Joe needs to win them back and put his life on the line to keep Violet safe.

But, having had it all twice, can Violet endure losing Joe?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,032,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible