A Promise Forged (Buckeye Promises Book 1)…

A Promise Forged (Buckeye Promises Book 1) (edition 2017)

by Cara Putman (Author)

156943,623 (4)None
Member:Suzie27
Title:A Promise Forged (Buckeye Promises Book 1)
Authors:Cara Putman (Author)
Info:Whisper Valley Press (2017), Edition: 2, 169 pages

A Promise Forged by Cara C. Putman

Kat transformed in front of him. Her chin came up, her fingers stopped twitching with the fabric of her gown, and a real sparkle bubbled in her eyes. It was like watching Snow White come to life when the prince kissed her. A heartwarming WWII historical from award-winning author Cara Putman: Kat Miller has dreamed of playing baseball her entire life. When she earns a spot on a team in the All-American Girls Professional Softball League, she finds that things aren’t as glamorous as she imagined. She struggles with long road trips, grueling practices, and older teammates who are jealous of her success. And to top it all off, an irritating reporter is constantly getting under Kat’s skin. Events in Jack Raymond’s career have left him cynical and distanced from God. He never wanted to write at a small paper, and he certainly didn’t want to be assigned to something as inconsequential as a women’s softball team. Then Kat walks into his life. The fiery, young softball player somehow climbs the walls around his heart and makes him want to hope again. When lies fly and the league appears to fail, will Kat and Jack’s new love survive?

My Thoughts: Every girl has a dream, and this time it's Kat's turn to have hers come true! A chance to play professional baseball. Cara Putman has weaved history and fiction in an entertaining storyline; s based the all women's league that was formed during the second world war.

Kat is the youngest member on the team and as I read the book, I wanted to take her under my wing and protect her from her jealous teammates. Kat had to suffer being away from her family, the jealousy of some of her teammates, traveling, grueling schedules and falling in love for the first time.

This was a very entertaining novel. I truly enjoyed it and it was a pleasure to read. One of the things I enjoyed about the book, was that Kat wanted to make a difference. She wanted to be a light for the Lord where ever she went. Her actions actually made Jack turn back to the Lord.

Even though I hadn't read the first two books, this was easy to follow on its own. I would love to read more from Cara Putman.

MaryAnnB1964 | Mar 1, 2019 |
This was a fantastic novella that talks about the women’s softball/baseball league that was formed during WWII. I loved learning reading about this team so much that I had to research it a little more to see how long it lasted. The characters were really fun. I loved the reporter, Jack and how he trailed Kat during the season and almost made her a hero. I could see her reaction of dislike, too. It was a wonderful read. I received a copy of this book from Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Aug 11, 2018 |
While I am not a huge baseball fan, I do enjoy a good sports story (no matter which sport). Cara Putman’s A Promise Forged is reminiscent of A League of Their Own starring Tom Hanks and Geena Davis.

When seventeen-year-old Katherine (Kat) Miller makes it through tryouts for the All American Girls Professional Softball League (AAGPSL), she finds her faith challenged. And the loneliness she experiences in the midst of her teammates in something she didn’t consider about her time playing the sport she loves.

Covering the AAGPSL is the last assignment reported Jack Raymond wants. Yet, the young dynamo Kat Miller catches his attention from the start. And he hopes to make her a star while attracting the attention of a larger paper.

There are some big obstacles between Kat and Jack—age and distance are just two of the biggest—but there is definite interest and attraction present.

Even though Kat plays for a fictionalized team, Putman pts readers on the diamond, revealing the grueling training and travel schedule of the teams as well as the rigid rules and regulations. There is also the challenge of jealous teammates, uninterested fans, and the stress of being cut or traded from the team.

This short and sweet story is definitely worth the read (even if you aren’t at all a sports person).

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. ( )
  Suzie27 | Aug 10, 2018 |
Move over boys, the girls of summer take center stage in Cara Putman’s WWII romance, A Promise Forged. Putman reimagines the All-American Girls Professional Softball League’s inaugural season in this standalone novella in her Buckeye Promises series. I loved the nostalgic feel of this book — a time of great turmoil, yet filled with hope and and faith. This is a sweet romance set on the homefront.

Katherine Kat Miller is a seventeen year old girl who just wants to play softball. She gets her chance, but there’s more involved than action on the diamond. Charm school, uniforms with short skirts, chaperones, and rules galore are the price of admittance. Her young age and the jealousies of teammates for perceived special treatment make for loneliness and the challenge to shine her light for God. I loved Kat’s character. She is a determined young woman faithful to God, yet with realistic doubts, fears, hopes and dreams. Her faith speaks loudly, even to those who don’t really want the message it proclaims. Jack, the journalist assigned to get the story on the hometown team, is also realistically portrayed. His frustration with his job comes through loud and clear. Putman does a great job with the evolution his character. Historic details make this a fun, fun read. The romance is indeed sweet, though I had a hard time with a relationship between a seventeen year old and a twenty-five year old. I had to keep reminding myself that the 1940s were a different time. And Kat is certainly not like many teenagers today. She is mature in her beliefs, attitudes, and convictions.

All in all, A Promise Forged was an entertaining read. It captured an interesting point in American history while providing a satisfying romance. Recommended.

Recommended.

Audience: older teens to adults.

(Thanks to Celebrate Lit for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Aug 9, 2018 |
This is a fictional story of the beginning of The All-American Girls Professional Baseball League during WWII founded by Philip K. Wrigley which existed from 1943 to 1954. Every time I find a book based on actual Historical events that little has been written about I have to read it. A Promise Forged also centers around Katherine Miller (Kat) a 17 year old shortstop and her growing relationship with a 25 year old newspaper reporter Jack Raymond assigned to cover the team.

As I was reading this story the massive age difference made me uneasy. Plus the fact that the chaperone allowed them to have so much alone time didn’t help. I remember my Dad, who is a huge Baseball fanatic, and followed the Women’s league during its run told me about the Rules of Conduct that they had to abide by. One thing that Cara Putman never mentioned was what happened if the players broke any of the rules. Punishment for breaking any of the League Rules of Conduct manifested as a $5 fine for the first offense, $10 for the second, and suspension for the third. Kat broke several of the rules, for which a fine was never mentioned. She probably would have actually been suspended as there were no second chances.

As the season rapped up so did the book. However, the book ended abruptly and to me the parents were to trusting of Jack as they allowed their daughter to date a much older man without even finding out more about him and his family. Even though the writing was above par I have to give this book 3 stars as I felt the context was lacking. Maybe if the author had added an Epilogue at the end giving the reader a view into the future I would have been inclined to rate A Promise Forged a little higher.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via the Celebrate Lit tour. I was under no obligation to write a positive review, and all options expressed in this review are completely my own. ( )
  ladyansel | Aug 5, 2018 |

From the Back Cover:

Kat just wants to play the game she loves.

When Kat Miller first tries out for the All-American Girls Professional Softball League, she thinks how exciting it would be to get paid to play the game she loves. But then she actually makes a team. She struggles with long road trips, grueling practices, and the challenge of making time for God. Not only that, but older teammates are jealous of her success and an irritating reporter, Jack Raymond, has a knack for getting under Kat’s skin.

Jack lives with the shame of being physically disqualified from joining the American forces in World War II. Events in his career have left him cynical and distanced from God. That is, until Kat walks into his life. She challenges his preconceptions and refuses to compromise her beliefs, no matter what difficulties she faces. Will the flames of disappointment forge bitterness in his heart, or can the promises Kat reminds him of restore joy to Jack’s life?

After becoming a member of the All-American Girls Professional Softball League, Kat Miller struggles with its challenges, including the jealousy of older teammates and Jack Raymond, an irritating reporter who has become cynical and distanced from God as the result of being physically disqualified from joining the American forces during World War II.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,209,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible