Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Series: Aristotle and Dante (1)

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.

English (311)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (314)
A young adult book which unapologetically dives into the difficult time of being a teenager who feels like an outsider in his own life. Aristotle meets Dante, a young boy who goes about life differently than anyone Ari has ever met before. As their friendship grows we journey with Ari through his questions, misgivings, frustrations, and joys. We watch as Ari and Dante grow closer and see how their relationship evolves. LGBTQIA ( )
  ArcherKel | Aug 17, 2022 |
A real journey about inner feelings, deep thoughts. It was very eye opening reading the thoughts Aristotle experienced, and the book did it very well showing them and having an impact on you (it did for me anyway). I got the feels at the happy points and teared up at the sadder ones.

Overall- an amazing book! ( )
  GardenGorilla | Aug 1, 2022 |
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe is a young adult LGBTQ+ novel about two Mexican-American teenagers and their struggles with their racial, sexual, and familial identities. The book is told through Aristotle's perspective, an introverted individual with very little friends who has a poor relationship with his family. One summer he meets Dante, and they hit it off very quickly. Through the lives of these two, we discover what it means to be gay in American society as a Mexican American boy and how it impacts an individual mentally, physically, and socially. Aristotle also identifies strongly with his Mexican identity, and tries to do anything to amplify it, even if it means conforming to racial stereotypes that are set by white American society. This goes to show and contributes to the marginalization of race in American society. Overall, this book is a conversation and an analysis of the intersections of race, gender, and sexuality. Benjamin Alire Saenz discusses the social and familial roles that Aristotle feels as a Mexican American, as well as a son, and explores how gender and sexuality fit into Mexican American culture in general. A decent read overall, but I found it quite repetitive at some times. Meaningful read, as the topics addressed in the book are very important in today's society. ( )
  DYangg | Jul 23, 2022 |
3.5 stars ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Jul 16, 2022 |
I absolutely adored everything about this book. Ari is just... everything. He was nicknamed Melancholy Boy and I think it fits him perfectly. He repressed so much of his feelings that when he finally let out anything of the pain he felt out loud, it made me instantly tear up. I really loved Dante, and their parents too. They were all just so perfectly imperfect. ( )
  NannyOgg13 | Jul 9, 2022 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

Benjamin Alire Sáenzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miranda, Lin-ManuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why do we smile? Why do we laugh? Why do we feel alone? Why are we sad and confused? Why do we read poetry? Why do we cry when we see a painting? Why is there a riot in the heart when we love? Why do we feel shame? What is that thing in the pit of your stomach called desire?
To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.
I got to thinking that poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just didn't get - and never would get. (p. 29)
The whole world seemed to be quiet and calm and I wanted to be the world and feel like that. (p. 105)
My mother and father held hands. I wondered what that was like, to hold someone's hand. I bet you could sometimes find all of the mysteries of the universe in someone's hand. (p. 140)

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,231,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible