Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of…

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe: The… (edition 2021)

by Benjamin Alire Saenz (Author)

Fifteen-year-old Ari Mendoza is an angry loner with a brother in prison, but when he meets Dante and they become friends, Ari starts to ask questions about himself, his parents, and his family that he has never asked before.
Member:chloefischer_
Title:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe: The multi-award-winning international bestseller
Authors:Benjamin Alire Saenz (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Children's UK (2021), Edition: 01

Work Information

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

English (285)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (287)
Aristotle and Dante are teen Mexican-American boys living in El Paso in the summer of 1987. They have challenges. Aristotle can’t swim. Dante can’t abide wearing shoes. Aristotle is as silent as his father. Dante is as talkative and friendly as his father. Neither of them have ever kissed a girl or a boy. And worst of all, they are burdened by parents that love them. It’s hard to figure out who you are or what you want to be at the best of times. Fortunately best friends help cut through all the distractions.

Both a coming of age story and a coming out story, the novel is presented from the point of view of Aristotle. He is a late child in the marriage of his parents. He has much older adult sisters and a brother in prison of whom no one speaks. His father, a Vietnam vet, has his own demons and nightmares about which he cannot speak. And Aristotle is very like his father. By contrast, Dante knows himself better but not always how to tell his parents about himself. He is brave in his way and extremely loyal. When bad things happen to both boys, it’s almost impossible not to root for them to overcome the obstacles in the way of their happiness.

I especially like the treatment of both sets of parents in this novel. Everyone is a complex individual and their relationships are equally complex. Of course there is melodrama, but it won’t seem excessive if you too were ever an angst-ridden teen.

Recommended. ( )
  RandyMetcalfe | Dec 6, 2021 |
So adorable and wholesome, amazing gay representation I read it in a couple of days I could not get enough. ( )
  satella2p | Nov 11, 2021 |
An easy read but relied too heavily on dialogue for first-person narration. I don't think it would have gotten so many accolades if there were more books which deal with boys struggling with thier sexuality and identity (as there should be, and will in time.) ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
Well written. Honest. ( )
  swade79 | Oct 28, 2021 |
This was a really good read. I'm late to the party here, so I can't say I was surprised that I liked it considering the glowing reviews. I really enjoyed the slow pace here and Saenz' allowing Ari to take his time and have his "secrets" from the reader. I don't believe there was ever any doubt as to how the book would end, but I appreciated the realism of a character who was processing his feelings that way.

Beautifully done. I'd like to say I'm going to launch into the sequel, but I have a lot on my plate and I may let the party get ahead of me again.

Aristotle and Dante

Next: 'Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World' ( )
1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Oct 20, 2021 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Susan (Nov 12, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Tams (Oct 2, 2014)

Benjamin Alire Sáenzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miranda, Lin-ManuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why do we smile? Why do we laugh? Why do we feel alone? Why are we sad and confused? Why do we read poetry? Why do we cry when we see a painting? Why is there a riot in the heart when we love? Why do we feel shame? What is that thing in the pit of your stomach called desire?
To all the boys who've had to learn to play by different rules
One summer night I fell asleep, hoping the world would be different when I woke. In the morning, when I opened my eyes, the world was the same.
I got to thinking that poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just didn't get - and never would get. (p. 29)
The whole world seemed to be quiet and calm and I wanted to be the world and feel like that. (p. 105)
My mother and father held hands. I wondered what that was like, to hold someone's hand. I bet you could sometimes find all of the mysteries of the universe in someone's hand. (p. 140)

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,549,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible