It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas

It Happened One Autumn

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: Wallflowers (2)

1,562567,313 (3.98)1 / 80
It happened at the ball ... where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat. It happened in the garden ... when Marcus shockingly -- and dangerously -- swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed ... thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act! It happened one autumn ... Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable ... as his bride.… (more)
    At the Bride Hunt Ball by Olivia Parker (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are set during house parties and feature an aloof hero struggling against his feelings for an utterly unsuitable bride. Sparks and witty banter fly! At the Bride Hunt Ball features a Regency-style version of The Bachelor and a heroine too clumsy to have a chance at landing a handsome husband (or so everyone thinks). It Happened One Autumn has a spirited free-wheeling American heroine paired with (a rather stodgy) English aristocrat who can't seem to resist her. Both stories had me grinning like the Cheshire Cat throughout!… (more)
    Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Different subgenres of romance - Practice Makes Perfect is a contemporary romantic comedy about two lawyers vying for the same promotion, while It Happened One Autumn is a historical romance set at a house party, but both stories have a bickering, bantering couple whose fencing with words masks a deep-seated attraction. I found both stories hilarious and emotionally satisfying.… (more)

It Happened One Autumn is a story that I have loved and adored ever since it was published. This book is the second book in the Wallflower series and one of the best historical series that has ever been written. Now I will say that there is much to love about this book, and even though I don’t love it quite as much as Devil in Winter or Scandal in Spring, there is so much to adore about this book.

The Key Players of It Happened One Autumn are:

Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London’s most eligible Aristocrat, full of responsibilities, domineering at times and in control.
Lillian, An American miss who is looking to marry a title….feisty, rebellious, and unconventional.

The story begins when Lillian and her sister come to a house party being hosted by the Westcliff’s in their country manor home. She and her sister Daisy, are both spirited and always tend to get into trouble. Lillian has no plans on even trying to pursue Westcliff because she has no desire to marry someone so stuffy and pompous and its obvious that Marcus has no interest in Lillian but they do like to argue with each other. 🙂 Marcus protests very strongly upon the arrival of Lillian and her sister coming and its apparent that there is some strong attraction between Marcus and Lillian but they don’t want to admit it to themselves. So we seem them just play around with each other at first, not admitting the attraction they have toward each other and then they share a kiss and all reservations go out the window because its way more explosive than they at first want to admit even to themselves. The phrase “she/he doth protest too much” definitely comes into play. They definitely start acting on their physical attraction to each other, but there are other factors involved that seem to cause a conflict on whether they will act on how they are feeling. Marcus especially knows that he wants a biddable wife and Lillian is way too contrary for his liking. But when his friend St.Vincent starts trying his hand at courting Lillian….all of Marcus’ reserve go out the window.

What is most fun about this book is the interaction between Marcus and Lillian. They definitely have sparks going on and its so entertaining to see them banter and try to battle with their words. Even though they are very different from each other, they are also both very stubborn, strong personalities and domineering. They are way more alike than they are different as far as their personalities are concerned and its probably why they fight their attraction so much at first. But soon emotion starts to enter into their relationship and adds a bit more unique dynamic. But what is the most important element is those tender sweet moments that develop between the two that is at odds with their spirited moments together. I love how poignant this story felt so many times and it comes upon the reader unexpectedly.
“Rest. You’ll need to regain your strength…because once we’re married, I won’t be able to leave you alone. I’ll want to love you every hour, every minute of the day.” He nestled her more closely against him. “There is nothing on earth more beautiful to me than your smile…no sound sweeter than your laughter…no pleasure greater than holding you in my arms. I realized today that I could never live without you, stubborn little hellion that you are. In this life and the next, you’re my only hope of happiness. Tell me, Lillian, dearest love…how can you have reached so far inside my heart?” He paused to kiss her damp silken skin…and smiled as the wisp of a feminine snore broke the peaceful silence.

Another fun aspect to the story that is prevalent through the whole series is the friendship between the four women or the “wallflowers” and I love seeing how they help each other find husbands even if it doesn’t happen the way they plan on. There is so much warmth and affection these women have for each other and will do anything for each other and I adore that. Here below is two of my favorite scenes that I just had to share.
“Annabelle, what happened to you?” Lillian asked the next morning. “You look dreadful. Why aren’t you wearing your riding habit? I thought you were going to try out the jumping course this morning. And why did you disappear
so suddenly last night? It’s not like you to simply vanish without saying—”
“I didn’t have a choice in the matter,” Annabelle said testily, folding her fingers around the delicate bowl of a porcelain teacup. Looking pale and exhausted, her blue eyes ringed with dark shadows, she swallowed a mouthful of heavily sweetened tea before continuing. “It was that blasted perfume of yours—as soon as he caught one whiff of it, he went berserk.”
Shocked, Lillian tried to take in the information, her stomach plummeting. “It… it had an effect on Westcliff, then?” she managed to ask.
“Good Lord, not Lord Westcliff.” Annabelle rubbed her weary eyes. “He couldn’t have cared less what I smelled like. It was my husband who went completely mad. After he caught the scent of that stuff, he dragged me up to our room and…well, suffice it to say, Mr. Hunt kept me awake all night. All night ,” she repeated in sullen emphasis, and drank deeply of the tea.
“Doing what?” Daisy asked blankly.
Lillian, who was feeling a rush of relief that Lord Westcliff had not been attracted to Annabelle while she
was wearing the perfume, gave her younger sister a derisive glance. “What do you think they were doing? Playing a few hands of Find-the-Lady?”

[divider]
“Wait a minute,” Daisy said suspiciously, coming to Lillian’s side.
“We’ve met Evie’s cousin Eustace before. Lillian, do you remember the ball at Winterbourne House?” Her eyes narrowed accusingly. “He was the one who broke the chair, wasn’t he, Evie?”
Evie confirmed Daisy’s question with an inarticulate murmur.
“Good God!” Lillian exclaimed, “you are not considering marrying him, Evie!”
Annabelle wore a puzzled expression. “How did he break the chair? Does he have a foul temper? Did he throw it?”
“He broke it by sitting on it,” Lillian said with a scowl.
“Cousin Eustace is rather l-large boned,” Evie admitted.
“Cousin Eustace has more chins than I’ve got fingers,” Lillian said impatiently. “And he was so busy filling his face during the ball that he couldn’t be bothered to make conversation.”
“When I went to shake his hand,” Daisy added, “I came away with a half-eaten wing of roast chicken.”
“He forgot that he was holding it,” Evie said apologetically. “He did say he was sorry for ruining your glove, as I recall.”
Daisy frowned. “That didn’t bother me nearly as much as the question of where he was hiding the rest of the chicken.”

It Happened One Autumn is a laugh out loud romance that will give you tingles and happy feels, it’s a story that is packed with lively banter, boisterous characters, tender romantic moments and characters that you will fall head over heels in love with!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
They don't even like each other, but she has friends in this strange repressive country and one of them is married to a man he highly respects. She is a wild thing from the colonies whose father wants her to marry a peer and he is a peer who is expected to marry within his class. Lots of fireworks between them and a few surprising twists! I loved it the first couple of times I read it, and I still do.
Rosalyn Landor is a marvelous narrator ( )
  jetangen4571 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Definitely a 4.5 star book. I really enjoyed this one! Funny, incredibly likable heroine, Lillian, that I definitely identified with (except for the wealthy virgin bit). I *adored* Marcus, with his emotional baggage and frustration with his own attraction to Lillian (though his behavior does end up being problematic, in my opinion). Lots of steamy drama. The epilogue made me glad I have the playaway of Devil In Winter in hand! ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
It Happened One Autumn
5 Stars

Synopsis
It is hate at first sight for Marcus Marsden, Earl of Westcliff, and the brash American heiress, Miss Lillian Bowman. He sees her as brash and ill-mannered while she perceives him as arrogant and snobbish. The only problem is that they can't seem to keep their hands off each other. Will they be able to get past their differences and accept that they are perfect for one another?

Review
Delightful and fun.

The writing and dialogue is excellent and the influence of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice is very much in evidence from the load and boorish parents to the slightly shady suitor (although St. Vincent is much sexier than Wickham) and the arrogant hero who is brought to his knees by the unconventional heroine.

Marcus and Lillian have an all-consuming passion and chemistry that sizzles the pages. Their opposites attract romance with its witty banter and steamy scenes is wonderful. Marcus is sexy in his stuffiness and struggles against his attraction to a woman he perceives as beneath him (Darcy anyone). Nevertheless, the vibrant and headstrong Lillian breaks through all of his barriers.

The perfume aphrodisiac motif was original and entertaining although the "secret ingredient" was obvious from the start.

The ending is unexpected and exciting, and it will be fascinating to see how St. Vincent redeems himself in the next book - the epilogue ensured that I would read the book immediately. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I loved Marcus - and his attraction to Lillian! Found myself skimming over a few bedroom scenes near the end as more that 2/3 and that's what I tend to do.. but it kept me reading and I enjoyed it. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Christina Dodd,
my sister, friend and inspiration.

Love, L.K.
Two young women stood at the threshold of the perfumery, one tugging impatiently at the arm of the other.

It happened at the ball . . .

Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It happened in the garden . . .

When Marcus shockingly—and dangerously–swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed . . . thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It happened one autumn . . .

Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable . . . as his bride?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,202,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible