A Theory of Small Earthquakes by Meredith…

A Theory of Small Earthquakes

by Meredith Maran

This book is a lot of fun for folks who live in Berkeley/Oakland area. I particularly enjoyed the timeline which begins in 1983 - a year of much importance in my East Bay life. I became involved in the journey the characters follow. I quite liked them....except for Allison, who is a complicated and interesting individual. This is a fine first novel from a writer who has written mostly non-fiction. ( )
  m2snick | Feb 19, 2014 |
I had high hopes for this book but ultimately found it very frustrating. I didn't engage with Alison and found her internal monologue and questions mildly obnoxious. Also, when we get to the should we/shouldn't we have a kid...if you're that unsure, don't have a kid. With a man or a woman or a baster or an alien. Don't do it. What could have been an interesting look at desire and family dynamics and queer struggles comes out flat. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |

In this family story spanning two decades, set against the social, political, and geological upheavals of the Bay Area, Alison Rose is eager to escape her damaging past and chart her own future. She is drawn to Zoe, a free-spirited artist who offers emotional stability and a love outside the norm. After many happy years together, the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake deepens fissures in the two women's relationship, and Alison leaves Zoe for a new, "normal" life with a man. Alison's son is the outcome of both of these complicated relationships, and the three parents strive to create a life together that will test the boundaries of love and family in changing times.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,728,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible