Roll Call by Glenn Langohr

Roll Call

by Glenn Langohr

was admittedly skeptical when I sat down to read this novel, as it falls outside of my area of knowledge. I have little experience with anything relating to the criminal justice system, and I had concerns that I would get lost in the jargon. However, as I got to know BJ and the other characters in the story, I was able to relate to the childhood experiences, to a point, and I found myself easily sucked into the storyline and got the end finding myself needing to know what would be coming next. I know that there is more to the story, there has to be with the way things ended, and I am desperate to know more.

For those of you who find this lifestyle familiar, find solace in knowing that this does not have to be the end. The author has proven that things can improve if one puts their mind to it. To me, it was a story of hope, of finding a way to dig yourself out of the ashes, and to go after what you believe in.

Be warned, it is not a quick read, coming in at over 700 pages, but every page was worth it.

There were some editing errors within the page, although that could have been the way those terms were used with slang language, but they did not detract from the story in any way. I feel this is a must read for anyone who has ever had to overcome difficulties and live, seemingly in spite of themselves. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
The first thing I noticed about the book is the length, Wow 734 pages, I did think I was going to be reading it for weeks as it has got to be the longest book I have read to date.
I infact finished reading this after around 14 hours. This 14 hours did take a week though as I read for a couple of hours before going to sleep.

There was drug cartels, violence, underhand police, crime and it all was very believable, Yes I know its a true story but sometimes truth does not always sound believable.
It seemed that a certain detective would try to bust B.J for just breathing and was on his back all the time trying to stitch him up even when B.J went legit. I really felt for him as I could see all he wanted to do was put the drugs behind him and start over. Which I guess would be pretty difficult when he is being hounded all of the time with drugs raids and the likes for no reason at all.

Prison life sounds as I had thought it would be but the story differed slightly from my own perception, I think it is probably because I can be a little naïve as I have never been in trouble myself so just go by TV programmes of what prison life and prison officers are like.

Roll Call is a fantastic and insightful read. It was very well written and it has left me wanting to know the rest of the story so I will be reading Upon Release very soon. ( )
  StressedRach | Sep 25, 2012 |

Glenn Langohr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,915,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible