The Taciturn Man: and other Tales of…

The Taciturn Man: and other Tales of Australia

by Geoffrey Gibson

521,436,638 (4.25)None
Recently added byrodneyvc, beckvalleybooks, vvolkman

I received this book as bonus work through the Librarything Early Reviewers program.

This book is largely a collection of episodes from the life of the author. I found that the point of many of them was hard to grasp.

The title story “The Taciturn Man” seemed contradictory, as Gibson describes his father as a “wonderful conversationalist”! This story is badly edited – I had to take to it with my pencil, and I found this very distracting. The majority of the other stories fare better.

I persevered, but wasn’t captivated by the nostalgia.
  rodneyvc | Jan 19, 2016 |
An excellent portrayal of one mans life in Australia, the type of people that are mentioned in the book can be found in any town or city throughout the world.

Having been brought up in the midst of the Second World War and having to help out on the farm while his Dad was away on National Service, gives us a strong indication of how times were hard and the only way to get through it was for all the family to pull together. You sense from his writing and memoir that family meant a lot to the author and helped him become the man he is.

The escapades of the authors childhood in the idyllic world before technology are one of freedom and without restraints - a childhood full of mischievousness and joy.

My favourite chapter is the one in which he describes his National Service, as with any young man this taught the author a lot about comradeship, discipline and respect which was to hold him in good stead for the rest of his life.

The author writes with a strong sense of emotion which draws the reader in and you can envisage the places, the situations and the people in your mind as you read. The style of the writing is easy to understand, the text and short chapters are very easy to follow, the memoirs are broken down and follow in sequence unlike some I have read. The honesty and openness of the author to share this with the reader really shines through. A very light read and if you enjoy a turn back in time this is a book for you. ( )
  beckvalleybooks | Aug 18, 2012 |

Loving Healing Press

2 editions of this book were published by Loving Healing Press.

Editions: 1615991204, 1615991212

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,926,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible