Stolen Secrets: A Dr. Cory Cohen Mystery by…

Stolen Secrets: A Dr. Cory Cohen Mystery

by Sandra Levy Ceren

621,268,033 (4.5)None
Recently added byLHPress, belha25, Nadia.W, vvolkman

I recently read Stolen Secrets by Sandra Levy Ceren. The book follows Dr. Corey Cohen as she experiences a psychologist's nightmare when a possible breach of confidentiality is brought to her attention and a client disappears. Dr. Cohen has a list of suspects, all she has to do is discover a way to find her patient and whodunnit, preferably before harm comes her way.

Though I was unfamiliar with the author, I enjoyed her writing style and that she didn't bog down the plot with too much exposition. Although some terms from psychology are used, the book was written in a way that could be understood by the average person. The characters were well-developed and I enjoyed their interactions with one another as the story progressed. The book was a fast read and I never found myself wondering when the story would end, but wondering what would happen next as I attempted to determine who was culpable of the misdeeds.

I would give the book four out of a possible five stars, possibly a little higher than that. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good whodunnit or to anyone who enjoys a psychological thriller (in the literal sense of the term) and I don't think you'll be at all disappointed. ( )
  belha25 | Sep 18, 2012 |
In Stolen Secrets Dr. Cory is doing her best to keep her spirits up. Her Psychology practice is slow but at least she still as patients who need her. She has 2, great children off in college. She has amazing friends that are always there for her. She lives in a great San Diego neighbourhood. Although romance is not really on the horizon, Cory is thinking about giving it another try.

Stolen Secrets introduces the start of a romance between Cory and Ben Fortuna, a private investigator, Cory hired to find out who has infiltrated the privacy of her practice. Who threatened her now missing patient, District Attorney Morgan Heller? And who is now threatening Cory?

Cory not being able to resist "helping out" doesn't feel ready to put all of her trust in Ben so she does plenty of investigating on her own. Disguises, phone inquiries, snooping around. What ever needs to be done, Cory feels she's up to the job. Her friends and colleagues don't agree with her dangerous, solo investigative missions.

I enjoyed seeing the role of how professional ethics plays into the everyday life of a mental health professional. Not wanting to violate a patients privacy vs. keeping the patient out of harms way. What does a professional do when a patient is in danger? Divulge confidential information or hope that the situation resolves itself?

I also liked seeing that mental health professionals sometimes need help themselves. Something that many in the general public don't realize. It's not that their "crazy" but sometimes those who listen to other people vent all day, need someone to listen to them, as well.

I enjoyed seeing the vulnerable side of Cory. She doesn't let the things that occasionally bother her, disrupt her life but they are still some small thorns in her side. For example, the fact that she is half Japanese still makes her uncomfortable, when she realizes that other people are uncomfortable or surprised by her appearance. Growing up in a Jewish household and looking Asian is something that Cory and many other mixed raced people go through on an frequent basis. Although people learn to live with societies perceptions a part of them will always be the vulnerable kid, trying to figure out where they fit in the world. ( )
  Nadia.W | Jul 15, 2012 |

A woman reveals her most intimate fantasy... a stolen secret which could lead to murder! A strait-laced patient in San Diego running for District Attorney is threatened by a midnight phone caller who knows her dirty secret--her fantasy of living as a prostitute--a secret she shared only with Dr. Cory Cohen. After confronting her therapist, she vanishes. As Cory wrestles with her patient's disappearance, the security breach and the potential harmful effects on other patients, events escalate. A patient is blackmailed. Cory is stalked, and her quarters burgled, forcing her to escape an unseen enemy and sending her on a spiraling trail of deceit, betrayal, blackmail and murder.… (more)

Modern History Press

2 editions of this book were published by Modern History Press.

Editions: 1615990682, 1615999590

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,970,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible