Assassins in Love: Assassins Guild by Kris…

Assassins in Love: Assassins Guild

by Kris DeLake

Original review on rabidgummibear.wordpress.com
I find that a most sci-fi space themed romance novels aren’t in worlds that are well built or interesting. Assassin’s in Love was the exception for the rule of just avoid most sci-fi romance.

The story revolves around Rikki and Misha both assassin’s one with a guild one not. For a chunk of the book Misha is tracking Rikki down because he was getting framed for her kills. Then things take a crazy twist and we go on a pretty wild adventure that involves some revelations about the characters and their pasts.

I’m going to say that I really enjoyed the characters in this book. I felt like Rikki was pretty reasonable compared to other romance heroines. She was pretty badass which is what you’d want from an assassin. I loved how interesting DeLake made the world seem engaging and real. I even found myself enjoying the male lead way more than I thought I would. They both used what would seem like proper protocol with future weapons and were deadly but not to a fault. They both even had some flaws.

I have a few things I disliked though because the book starts to feel a little long and pretty dry in a few spots. I kept wishing the plot would move forward a bit more instead of going at a snails pace after the halfway point. Another thing was they jumped into the sexytimes which was great but then it disappeared quickly for a while which sucked.

Overall I think this book is well worth the read if you love romance novels and sci-fi! 4 out of 5 stars it is well worth the cash.
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
:) ( )
  Janicemo | Aug 16, 2017 |
We are talking about Kristine Kathryn Rusch here using a pen name to write racy sci-fi romances, folks! Of course the book is buckets of fun since the very first moment when Rikki tries to get rid of the body in space...

This is a short, entertaining read similar to Mr. & Mrs. Smith. In this world assassins are respected professionals and not liable for the kills, their clients are. The laws vary from planet to planet, but Rikki prefers to act as an independent instead of belonging to The Assassins Guild and paying a hefty yearly membership fee.

However, she annoyed one of the best Guild Assassins Mikhail (Misha) who gets blamed for quite a few of her kills. He thinks she is messy and inexperienced and wants to teach her a lesson...

Oh boy, he is in for a hell of a surprise!

They are both tricky, and sneaky and paranoid, but despite a very bumpy road they manage to fall over heels for each other and get involved in a big conspiracy, where only mutual trust will keep them both alive.

Fun, easy, pretty short. Perfect mindless holiday read. Very much recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Today’s post is a quickie because I’m pressed for time with school and work. But don’t think the brevity of this post is a reflection on Assassins in Love because I thought it was a fun read!

I ordered this book on a whim after reading a review of it somewhere. The review wasn’t all that favourable, which is why I haven’t linked it here, but it was what put Assassins in Love on my radar; even though the reviewer didn’t love the story, her review was very fair and the information she provided was enough to intrigue me, even knowing that she didn’t love this book. (That’s how you write a less-than-positive review, folks!) As it turns out, I had a very different reaction to Assassins in Love: I thought it was a fun sci fi romance, though it did have some flaws.

I suppose I’ll start this post off by talking about the two characters. They start off as opponents, though Rikki doesn’t know it when they first meet, and I enjoyed watching them clash. I really enjoyed Rikki with her headstrong nature and mulish stubbornness, but I found Misha to be a bit shallow. He wasn’t as well developed as Rikki but we get some backstory over the course of the novel and I found myself liking him more and more as Assassins in Love progressed.

My favourite part of the book was probably the setting. I’ve been more and more in the mood for sci fi romance and so this was a great pick for me. I loved the world that Kris DeLake (a.k.a. Kristine Kathryn Rusch) has created here. It’s one with space travel, legalized assassination, and interesting technology, and I really enjoyed immersing myself in the setting. I love it when authors create a well thought-out and logical setting for their stories and Assassins in Love definitely hits this mark.

Assassins in Love is the first book in Kris DeLake’s Assassins Guild series and I’m definitely curious about what’s to come. With an interesting setting and the potential to be a great series, I look forward to wherever the author takes us next.

http://ireadgood.wordpress.com ( )
  jthorburn | Feb 16, 2014 |
The will-they/won't-they tension of these two wasn't quite enough to keep me going, I have a hard time with books where trust issues are the main thing keeping the main characters apart. That being said, I found both of them individually charming, and the heroine getting to break her boyfriend's ex-girlfriend's neck was... unsettling, though I eventually came down on the side of "applause". ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |

When one killer falls for another Agent: Misha Profile: Highly trained in every method the assassins guild has to offer. Always goes by the book. Agent: Rikki Profile: Rogue assassin who kills only to rid the world of hardened criminals. Hates organizations. Always does it her way. Love becomes a matter of life and death Misha's mission is to get Rikki to join the guild or give up her guns. He completely underestimated the effect she would have on him ... and what heat and chaos they could bring to each other.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,829,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible