Bedtime Stories for Children You Hate by…

Bedtime Stories for Children You Hate

by Antoinette Bergin

Make no mistake, this is a work for adults. From its title, I anticipated a parody of fairy tales, one that children would delight in because it broke the rules of moralistic fables and ultra-clean fantasies of princesses and frogs that turn into princes. Much to the contrary, this work is laden with profanity -- the "f" word, the "b" word, and so on -- as well as adult themes.

With 56 small pages, it's more a pamphlet than a book, and one published at the author's expense. It contains ten little stories. On the whole, they are neither clever nor funny; and while I am no prude, I was disgusted at the unnecessary profanity -- used not as spoken speech (as might have been understandable), but as the author's own descriptions of her own characters. I found just one story worthwhile, -- "I Thought We Were Camping" -- but its title clumsily gives away the plot. This book is not worth spending any money on, but if you do find one while you're out camping, its pages might be useful in helping you start a campfire. ( )
2 vote danielx | Aug 5, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,937,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible