Cursed by S. A. Archer

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. This is quite an interesting series so far. I love the development of the characters and the angle which helps me enjoy them without a critical eye. You meet a wide range of magical characters and lots of action. The writers gives you those you want to push for and the rest you want to hang up by their toe nails. I hope the intensity stays throughout the series because I can wait for the next book and hope it is just as good if not better than the first. ( )
  thicks | Sep 8, 2015 |
*Book source ~ Many thanks to the author for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

London Eyer is a private investigator specializing in the paranormal. When she is blackmailed into working for Rico of the Sidhe her life changes in an instant. She may be forced to work for him, but she’s not doing it without fighting for all she’s worth. She will do the job, but as much on her terms as possible considering the Curse he’s put on her. The question is: Will she survive?

Ok, this story is definitely a good start to a new series. It’s very short, so there’s only a brief glimpse of what this new world and characters are like, but it’s enough to make we want more. I like London. A lot. She reminds me of Harry Dresden (though he’s a wizard) and Anita Blake in the early books (though she’s a necromancer), but the attitude is one that I enjoy reading. She may be forced to do something, but she’s not going to just roll over and play nice. The ending is very intriguing and not how I expected it to turn out, but I very much look forward to reading more in this series. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Oct 19, 2013 |
This was a really fun short story, and the first in a series of three. Because it is a short story there is very little I can go into detail about without spoiling the whole thing for you, but I will do my best to discuss broad topics.

London is a very interesting character to me, she is one of those humans who exist in the world of paranormal. While she is a human she is someone who has contacts with various paranormal beings, which as you can imagine results in all kinds of interesting situations. I like her because I like her inner dialogue, and even though she is a human and without any powers, she doesn't back down from a fight and thinks on her feet.

Selena was a character who wasn't fully developed but I have a feeling will be back in future installments. Even though Selena isn't a huge focal point in the story, you can tell from the short interactions that she is a bad ass and has a bit of a sassy streak in her.

One thing I appreciate about this book is that is deals with the Fae, but acknowledges that the Fae can be a rather confusing group to understand. London don't particularly deal with the Fae so she is entering into the unknown. I like that because it was a short story, the author didn't go into a huge amount of detail because it would have just over taken the book. You get just enough information about the Fae to understand what you need to for the short story.

Overall this is a solid short story, it is a quick read, but still interesting. It ends with just the right amount of cliff hanger, and has quality writing within. If you are looking for a short story to enjoy this would be a contender. ( )
  HomeLoveBooks | Jan 17, 2012 |
London is called to a meeting with vampire associate and friend Selena, to meet a new client - Rico. London's new client is... special and curses her with a touch to working for him, a sidhe. Now she needs to find some specific information for him while jonsing for his next touch, but who knows what more will be needed or happen in the future.

This short read starts out with a dark sexual, sensual feel to it. And even has a dark feel through it. After reading the other two short stories I liked the history supplied through London's contacts and the darkness here. This story introduces a few other elements to the other short stories, a history and the side of the fey's enemies. We learn much more of the Wizards and their brief history with the fey. We see the land is divided by the fey and wizards, Ireland and England.

I'm curious to see how these three storylines touch each other through the future writings. They each add elements to the other series. All do have a feel of the beginnings of a book for each character, but do have an arc to the story and a close. Just a close that lets you want to know more. ( )
  MelHay | Jan 14, 2012 |

S. A. Archer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,869,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible