The Star Child by Stephanie Keyes

The Star Child

by Stephanie Keyes

183561,019 (4)None
fantasy (3) fiction (1) isp (1) K (1) Kindle (1) paranormal (1) romance (1) to-read (5) unread (1) YA (2) young adult (2)

I have to be honest and say that I am a girl that judges a book by its cover (I know I should be ashamed). When I got an e-mail to review the third book in this series, I loved the cover of the third book and thought, “Let’s give this series a chance and start reading it.” I got the first book and started reading immediately. I do not regret reading this story at all. It has everything a Fantasy/Paranormal story has: faeries, gods, goddess’, prophecies, evil guys, underworld, hellhounds…it’s packed!

This story takes Kellen St. James into a wonderful and daring journey. He has lived his life feeling unwanted by his dad and his brother, only having his grandma’s love and attention. He graduates and finally moves out on his own, where he meets Calienta, a goddess. They had met long ago and seeing each other again, brings back emotions they didn’t know they really had. Calienta introduces Kellen to the prophecy, telling him he is the one that will combat evil and win—he doesn’t believe so, seeing as he is an ordinary human boy. Once the journey starts, he realizes that he wouldn’t want to be anywhere else than to be with Calienta and help her save her family in an unknown world.

The description of the whole story comes to life before the reader’s eyes—it’s so vivid and wonderful to imagine everything so clearly. Kellen decides to help Calienta save her family and he stays brave throughout it all, he stays truthful to himself, never straying from the path of good. Something that caught my attention a lot was how willingly the gods are to give up immortal life—become mortal so they can be with the love of their life, who are mortal humans. It’s touching and beautiful, altogether. It also shows how willing one can be to want to help others, even in the fantasy realm. ( )
  GenGenBookBlog | Sep 21, 2014 |
Kellen St. James is a genius, has a butthead brother and a father that’s a real piece of work. At least he has a grandmother and grandfather who love him. Unfortunately, neither can make it to his graduation from Yale at the age of 17. His grandfather was too ill to travel and his grandmother had died before his graduation. Of course, his father and brother didn’t make it either, but then Kellen didn’t expect them to. Jerks.

Ever since he was six Kellen had dreamed of a girl named Calienta that he told his grandmother he met on the beach near her cabin in Ireland. When his grandmother dies and leaves him her cabin and a large nest egg, Kellen heads there after his graduation. After a few days of settling in, Calienta shows up and tells him a story about a prophecy. A prophecy that involves him. That’s when things get whacky.

This book started out strong, but stumbled in the middle before finishing with a too tidy ending. I liked Kellen a lot. He was fully fleshed out and well-developed. Calienta, on the other hand, never made it past two dimensional for me. And the instalove between the two felt forced. The description of Kellen’s journey into Faerie was interesting and could have been expanded upon. The big ending was a bit of a let down. However, the epilogue looks interesting. I’m intrigued. All-in-all this was an ok read.

*Many thanks to Inkspell Publishing for providing me with a review copy. Please see disclaimer page on my blog. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Feb 1, 2013 |
I’d have to say that The Star Child is a wonderful read for those who love young adult urban fantasy. It features a seventeen-year-old genius, Kellan, who meets Calienta the girl of his dreams–literally. Kellan has been dreaming of Calienta most of his life.

Little did he know that she was a star being and he had a destiny to fulfill. I enjoyed Kellan and Calienta immensely as characters and in relationship. I also enjoyed the rich Celtic mythology woven throughout this novel.

This book is unique and original. Fans of the Percy Jackson series will love The Star Child for its world of Celtic gods and goddesses and Kellan’s grand adventure. I look forward to reading the next installment of this imaginative and original series. ( )
  Lisa.Voisin | Dec 12, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,947,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible