Leo (Sun Sign Series) by Joanna Martine…

Leo (Sun Sign Series)

by Joanna Martine Woolfolk

611,268,033 (4)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not everyone believes in astrology, but almost everyone seems drawn to it at some point in their lives even if only out of curiosity, apart from any spiritual path we may or may not embrace. Most, though, are unable to embrace its intricacies because there is a lot of math, calculation, analysis, and synthesis involved. Therefore, we may settle for scanning a horoscope in a daily paper or monthly magazine and smile when its forecast is favorable or discount it when it is not.

However, that would be a mistake. Simply because we do not understand its underpinnings, we should not discount the wisdom ancient people valued and not so ancient luminaries still follow. After all, some biographers said Nancy Reagan regularly consulted her astrologer and was rumored to have shared the findings with her husband, Ronald. Of course, that advice was predicated on complex and detailed understanding of when (down to the time of day) and where (exact longitude and latitude) you were born amongst other factors. Few of us would be able to afford or would even care to have such detailed charts of our destiny drawn and interpreted. We are too poor, too busy, too scared, too enlightened – there are many reasons to decline to look closely at such fine-tuned observations.

That is sad because we miss out on so much by ignoring what has stood the test of time. We might scoff, but we do so at our loss. Life is richer when you learn as much as you can, particularly about yourself. Whether or not you plan your life or daily activities upon astrology, I bet you are drawn to the general characteristics attributed to your Sun sign – the day and month on which you were born. Even the most ardent skeptic can probably tell you whether he or she is a Scorpio, a Taurus, or Capricorn. There is something that draws us in. We pick what we like from the profile and often discard what we don't.

In Joanna Martine Woolfolk's Sun Sign Series, each Sun Sign gets its due. I was fortunate to be granted the right to review my own Sun Sign through Library Thing's Early Reviewer program, and I have to admit I was astounded, truly astounded, at how accurate this slim volume was. I've had an on and off interest in astrological since my teen years. The off phases were primarily due to the fact that I did not understand or have patience for concepts such as decanates and cusps and all the finer points of art. However, thanks to Woolfolk's clear descriptions and definitions, I finally feel comfortable and confident with at least the foundational aspects of astrology.

You don't have to take my word for how accurate her descriptions are. Try an experiment as I did. Write up one that truly reflects what you find for your birth date as Woolfolk delineates it. Then pick one or two that don't relate to you at all. Don't identify the descriptions of you in anyway except general categories such as Personality, Health, Best Career, Love Interests or whatever strikes your fancy. Be fair and accurate; reflect Woolfolk's work honestly. Then give those two or three sheets to people who know you well. Let them select the one they feel most accurately describes you. You may be as stunned as I was. Woolfolk nailed my strengths and weaknesses and those who looked at the different profiles were able to select the one that Woolfolk said was specific to my day and month of birth.

The chapter on Chinese astrology was not only fun it was fascinating. The theory that my spouse and I were compatible partners according to our animal signs did not surprise me, but was pleased that the past forty years bear out the truth of that prediction. Other chapters were equally intriguing: numerology, affinities, et cetera. You will be surprised at how much information is conveyed in this slim volume.

Whether you wish to embrace astrology as your ultimate guide, simply wish to think about the profile it paints of you to see if you can understand yourself better, or just even approach it as a fun way of seeing what is said about you generally, Joanna Martine Woolfolk is a true and steady guide. She writes in a clear, easily understood style, and makes no outlandish claims. She sets forth her findings and allows you to decide for yourself what matters. ( )
  kssunflower | Feb 16, 2012 |

Hannah, Grace and Amelia are devastated when a fire destroys their beloved old farmhouse on Cove Road. As they begin to rebuild, though, they find an unexpected silver lining: deeper bonds with the locals in their adopted North Carolina mountain town. Of course, life doesn't stop just because there's an emergency. After Grace's dear companion, Bob, has a heart attack, she moves into his hillside condo to take care of him. But without Grace there as a buffer, Hannah and Amelia find their personalities clashing...… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joanna Martine Woolfolk's book Sun Sign Series: Leo was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,734,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible