Fine Boys by Eghosa Imasuen

Fine Boys

by Eghosa Imasuen

12None1,092,447 (4)None
4.00 (1) Abacha (1) Africa (1) bildungsroman (1) Kindle (1) Nigeria (1) novel (2) to-read (1)

No reviews
I remember something my father told me after I went with him on a visit to one oyibo oil executive. I was thirteen, in class three; I wore my Federal Government College Warri white-and-white and had been impressed by the white man's office. He was Canadian, I think, and he had a pot-belly that jiggled every time he laughed.

Warri, October 1992: Sick of watching his parents fight, 16-year-old Ewaen is waiting for university to begin, waiting for something to happen. Months later, Ewaen and friends are finally enrolled as freshmen at the University of Benin. Their routine now consists of hanging out in a parking lot trading jibes, chasing girls and sex, and learning to manage the staff strikes and crumbling infrastructure. But Nigerian campuses in the 1990s can be dangerous places, too. Violent confraternities stake territories and stalk for new recruits. An incident of petty crime snowballs into tragedy...
Fine Boys is Eghosa Imasuen’s second novel. In the witty, colloquial style fast becoming his trademark, Imasuen presents everyday Nigerian life against the backdrop of the pro-democracy riots of the ‘80s and ‘90s, the lost hopes of June 12, 1993, and the terror of the Abacha years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,825,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible