Envar Island by C. W. Kesting

1None5,476,166 (5)None
Recently added byAeryion

No tags.

No reviews
5 stars!!Chris W. Kesting’s world building skills reminds me a great deal of a combination between Ursula K. LeQuin and Robert Heinlein poetic prose. The futuristic society is humankind struggling against several classes of embryonicly enhanced people, labeled ‘Envars’, created to take over the mundane services mankind doesn’t care to do for itself. Trouble begins when one faction believes the other is becoming too powerful. This book is an exquisitely written adventure of human emotions fighting prejudice, hate, vengeance and greed, against the possibilities of peace and acceptance.
added by Aeryion | editConger Book Reviews (Nov 1, 2011)

4 and 3/4 stars!!...an immediately engaging story. From the very beginning, I was intrigued and entertained by the author’s dystopian view of a possible future for mankind.

Kesting has combined the apocalyptic and the sci-fi categories to make a detailed and frightening statement about our own contemporary plight…with regard to economics, politics, religion and morality and how these factors in a society can be so tremendously influenced when simple men with gross power are thrust into leadership. He manages to combine these commentaries in a rich text that urges you to read on to completion.

I applaud the cleverness of this device. It really makes you stop and think about our own world.

I just couldn’t read fast enough to satisfy my curiosity...
added by Aeryion | editRed Adept Reviews (Nov 1, 2011)

When Mankind toys with Natural Order and creates the next version of ourselves; are we prepared to embrace the consequences? Or have we finally rendered ourselves obsolete?

In the decade after the Second Civil War, America is left in complete ruin. The inevitable conflict between working and ruling classes is violent and costly, thinning the population down to less than half of the current census; leaving only the very old and the very young to rebuild. The challenge of post-war reconstruction has brought about the creation of enhanced human variants—envars. These genetically modified beings are capable of undertaking the most physically demanding and dangerous of tasks during the Reconstruction. But, after four generations of rebuilding and recovery, envars have suddenly out-lived their usefulness and are now perceived as a threat to the natural order of the new society. As the last of the envars are scheduled for disposal, one self-aware variant initiates a small rebellion and escapes from their secluded island home in search of the Ultimate Truth: Is there more to their life than that intended from their Creator?Echo LeFey is a Recollector of human memories—memories used to manipulate and control the inhabitants of the new Commonwealth. Born after the Reconstruction, she only knows a world where formal education has been replaced by Apprenticeships, the dollar has been supplanted by holographic memory-bytes, and mandatory work laws keep the populace forcefully employed under penalty of conscripted Service. By providence or design—she must decide which—Echo has suddenly been placed in the middle of an apocalyptic revolution where she must not only face her own internal demons, but those of Mankind as well. Together with an enigmatic historian and two refugee envars, Echo will uncover shocking truths about the past on her way to uncovering an inconceivable and awe-inspiring glimpse of the future.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,587,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible