The Viking's Sacrifice by Julia Knight

The Viking's Sacrifice

by Julia Knight

Wilda, a Saxon girl, survives a Viking attack on her village. She watched as her mother was hacked down. The Viking that killed her mother then turned on own raiders. Wilda rescues one of the Vikings before running away. Einar returns from his first raid a broken boy. His older brother killed the elder brother and then attacked Einar, and is now demanding Einar's silence. Knowing his silence will buy his remaining sibling's safety, he stops speaking and becomes the village outcast. Fast forward a few years, and Wilda is again facing a Viking Raid. As the thane's wife, she watches as her husband is killed. She is taken hostage by Einar's younger brother. He intends to marry Wilda and inherit her land. But Wilda can't deny the growing attraction to Einar. Before giving into his passion for Wilda, Einar needs to break the curse and free himself.
This historical fiction romantic novel was a treat. I loved how Wilda was strong and made Einar into a stronger person. She gave him the will to try and succeed. The whole village seems to be in place and was beautifully written. The writing was great, making the novel even more engrossing. I felt like I was transported to the Northern Wilderness, struggling to free Einar from his curse! ( )
  allisonmacias | Feb 10, 2012 |
Wilda is a young girl who just wants to run free, and be allowed to do all the things her brothers can do. But this changes on the day that the Vikings invade her home and slaughter her entire family. Wilda only gets away because of a young boy named Einar, who saves her from his brother's axe after Bausi murders their older brother Arni. Bausi curses Einar to stay silent for the sake of the lives of his younger brother Sigrid and sister Gudrun. It's not until years later that Einar (now known as Toki because he is mute and thought to be simple) will meet Wilda again, when Sigrid brings her home with him as a slave; after he's killed Wilda's husband so that he can marry her for the lands that are now hers. Though they can't communicate because of language barriers, Toki and Wilda recognize each other and connect immediately when she's brought to his country. Will he help her escape from Sigrid and save his brother and sister from the curse? Or will he stay as Toki and keep his silence, ignoring the growing attraction between himself and Wilda? This novella was interesting and actually more than I was expecting. That said, the action did NOT flow very well. It took pages for events to finish and stuff to happen. Lots of prose that was out of control and began to bore me after the first couple passages. I found myself paging forward to get to the interesting parts. That said, I did love Wilda and Einar. They were both wonderful, strong heroes. The conflict between Bausi and Einar was full-blown 3-Dimensional and thought out. I also liked the character developments Knight managed in such a short space of time. That said, unless you're crazy about Vikings and history I wouldn't recommend it.

VERDICT: 2.5/5 Stars

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.* ( )
  AnnaKay21 | Jan 6, 2012 |

Julia Knight is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,723,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible