The Unintended: The Watcher Series: Book One…

The Unintended: The Watcher Series: Book One

by Robin Woods

142683,257 (5)None

WOW! I was completely blown away!! This book is amazing! I read a lot of books/series in the paranormal genre, but I have found that my favorites tend to be written by English teachers. Robin Woods is by far no exception. She is a brilliant and talented author. Not only does she provide a fresh new take on vampires and an exciting can't-wait-to-get-to-the-end storyline, but her command of the English language is refreshing and delightful as well. As a lover of language, I found myself enjoying the novel all the more when Woods used synonyms for commonly used everyday words (ex. locks for hair; libation for daily dose of favorite coffee). I also thought her literary references and Biblical references were a great tie-in that helped round-out the story and make it even more relatable to a broader audience. Wood's use of descriptive language and imagery help the reader's imagination to easily create pictures of what is happening in the story, as well as scenes and character descriptions. The foreshadowing used makes the reader all that more anxious and excited to get to the end of the story and to anticipate what has been alluded to and what will happen in the next novel in the series. I also reside in the Bay Area and was delighted to find geological references and social hotspots highlighted in the novel.
As a new author I think Robin Woods is fantastic. This series looks to be the best in its genre and I recommend it to anyone who's even remotely interested in reading about vampires or the paranormal-you will not be sorry. Didn't like Twilight? Doesn't matter. This is not Twilight. This is not like anything you've ever experienced. Read it. You'll love it! ( )
  Waterlilies79 | Apr 21, 2012 |
Robin Woods' novel, The Unintended, is an excellent read, catering to vampire-loving, teen sci-fi/fantasy readers. This is the first book in a trilogy and seems to be loaded with strategically placed subtleties that allude to possibilities in the upcoming books in The Watcher Series. This novel rolls out sensitive character development, letting us into the heart of our heroine, Aleria "Ali" Hayes, as she embarks on a life-altering journey at the most vulnerable time in a high school girl's life. I await many exciting twists and turns to come in the next novels since The Unintended is filled with so much anticipation! The plot is smooth and easily traversed, but knowing that the author is an English teacher by trade, as mentioned in her bio, the ongoing plot, no doubt, will continue to reveal darker, deeper layers of self-discovery for our young Ali as she presses closer to becoming a woman tangled up in a vampire's realm. I appreciate the literary references Woods weaves throughout the novel as well. This is a classy read! ( )
  BrookeElaine | Apr 15, 2012 |
A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
To my honey. You are my rock.
I often think of my life as both charmed and cursed—charmed because I have everything I need, but cursed because something always goes wrong.
“I tried to push him back, but he was too strong, like iron. Suddenly his head snapped up like he heard something; he craned his neck to listen and then he let out a hiss. He kissed next to my ear and softly whispered, “I think breaking you will be much more fun. I’ll see you soon.” And then he added, as if an afterthought, “Tell him hello for me.” Then I felt his mouth lock onto the base of my neck and something pierce my flesh. It hurt. Despite my panic, after a few moments, my heart slowed, and everything became distorted as the blackness came for me.”

After breaking up with her boyfriend, seventeen-year old Aleria “Ali” Hayes finally feels liberated. Unfortunately, her ex’s buddies are not making it easy on her. When his friends harass her one night, a mysterious stranger, Bowen, steps in to rescue her. But just as this new relationship seems to be taking off, Ali is attacked by something far worse than spiteful high school boys. When she awakes, her eyes are opened to a world where gods still walk the earth, where vampires and other immortals fight for supremacy— and where fate may be stronger than free will. Now, Ali must decide who she can trust, and whether the world of mortals is worth saving at all.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,041,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible