Defending a King: His Life & Legacy by Karen…

Defending a King: His Life & Legacy

by Karen Moriarty

122768,668 (4)None

Very nice book. love to read it again. ( )
  akiomatsumoto | Sep 29, 2017 |
I think the Title should be amended slightly since it focuses on Micheal Jackson's life more clearly from the years of his 2005 trial until his death. The author did an incredible job researching this book. Because there is plenty of information thrown in about years prior from other books and resources. But seemed to personally interview via internet and some personally in person--security people, his lawyer from the 2005 molestation charges Thomas Messaru and others. She also had phenomenal understanding of the way the family works. MJ avoided his many brothers and sisters, plus he rarely saw his mother (whom he is quoted from more than one source as being the only person he ever trusted 100%, nor saw his father!) I believe being a phd psychologist helped her with a lot of the understanding she brought to 'HIS SIDE'. I wrote when I started reading this that the first day it hit home to me that this far off star was a real human person and not joke is when his Daughter Paris, first time I and the world really saw all three of his children--at his FUNERAL, but PARIS JACKSON trying to make it clear to the world that she loved her DADDY and to her he was the best Daddy in the world. Many Daddy's girls the world over feel the same. But that was when the jokes weren't EVER funny again. In his life and struggle to be normal, SEEM normal...all he needed to do was show to a good journalist his well adjusted older kids. That humanized him more anything for me and I cried with her, because she reminded me of all the things I loved about Michael Jackson. This book just pointed out more reasons to love him. He said he wanted to BE Peter Pan, Elizabeth Taylor was his Wendy. I wonder if Paris became his Tink. He was an incredible humble human being with incredible manners. He wanted to help ALL THE 'LOST CHILDREN' in the world. In my mind he's very lucky to only met two schemers and he should have FOUGHT THE FIRST CHARGE AND NOT SETTLED! SETTLING MADE SOME PEOPLE THINK HE HAD SOMETHING TO HIDE AND CON-ARTISTS SEE HIM AS A MARK. He was an incredibly shy man. He gave his father and siblings no cut in his will because after 2005 he left 20% or 30% of his fortune to his kids. 20& to his mother. Left his kids to his mother, Diana Ross, THEN Janet Jackson. He had been supporting his family with the exception of Janet and Latoya since he started his solo career practically as a ransom for solo success and family jealousy!

THIS WAS A PRETTY GOOD BOOK. Most of us know the story of how he started. But we don't know what happened behind the scenes from 2005 till his death. The people he was around. The reports of kids and how he behaved as father.

One story stuck from the rest and broke my heart for him. It was about him driving around in SUVs with his body guards down the Vegas strip just watching NORMAL people do, what they get to do not realizing the thing he wanted most was normalcy for him and his kids. ( )
  Danie_Jorgenson | Sep 16, 2013 |

Reviewed by Alice D. for Readers Favorite

"Defending a King: His Life & Legacy" will leave the reader in a different place at its ending. Even readers who are indifferent to Michael Jackson will be true fans at the end of this book. Author Karen Moriarty takes the reader step by step into Michael Jackson's life and career, convincingly conveying his great musical genius and his inability to deal with the sycophants and cheats who attached themselves to him. As the "King of Pop", his ability to write brilliant songs and dance to their beat could not be matched by anyone else in the music business. But this great talent also made Michael Jackson inept in business dealings. Dr. Moriarty tells of how people who worked for Michael Jackson stole from him right and left. Dr. Moriarty also tells honestly of how Michael never recovered from the horrors of the Neverland 2005 trial and covers his tragic death at the hands of Conrad Murray. Michael was overwhelmed by the lawsuits that came at him incessantly and only wished to have a good night's sleep. Instead, filled with a deadly drug, he died. It becomes clear to the reader that Michael Jackson was a first rate father to his three children, but despite being surrounded by people, he was a lonely, lonely man. Dr. Moriarty speculates that Michael Jackson might have lived if he'd had someone nearby who truly cared about him. She tells that, of his immediate family, he was close only to his mother. Sad!

"Defending a King" is one of those rare books that will touch the reader's mind and heart. It deserves a wide readership for it is well-written and tells of a Michael Jackson who gave thousands to charity work around the world, who would sit with gravely ill children
to comfort them, who was loved by leaders like Nelson Mandella for the good deeds Michael felt he was on this earth to accomplish. Too bad that most people think of Michael Jackson as a bizarre person, associating him and his estate Neverland with perversion. Gifted, good and otherworldly? Yes, Michael Jackson most definitely was.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:16 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,754,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible