Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh…

Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Leigh Bardugo

3,3752742,443 (3.98)1 / 129
Member:recipe_addict
Title:Shadow and Bone (Grisha Trilogy)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:best of 2015, 2015, YA, Leigh Bardugo, The Grisha Trilogy

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (2012)

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee (kylenapoli)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (bluehighlighter)
    The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both books have an ordinary human girl who is orphaned but learns that she has great power to change the world.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Rating – 4.7 out of 5
Alina Starkov is an orphan in the Kingdom of Ravka who has always blended in. One fateful day when she is brought into the Unsea, a dark no-man’s-land filled with monsters she shows that she is a Grisha, with special powers. Upon this discovery, Alina is swept up into the Ravkan court and begins to live among the other Grisha. As Alina is tested and learns how to use her powers it becomes obvious that there’s more to court life than meets the eye.

Read the rest of my review - https://bythecoverreview.com/2019/08/19/shadow-and-bone-by-leigh-bardugo/ ( )
  bythecoverreview | Aug 19, 2019 |
I'm torn on this one, because I enjoyed it, and I liked the world (yay Russian-derived fantasy) but I also felt that not enough was done with it. I feel it was far too single-mindedly focused on Alina's business to explore the complexity that was occasionally glimpsed in the world. (My stand-out moment: when Alina exclaims over sugar in the Palace, receives the impression that it's commonplace, and that huge discrepancy between the haves and have-nots is not really ever visited or developed.) Now I guess part of this is the YA-ness restricting the available length, and part is the first-person narration restricting our lens on the world. I might be more forgiving if I hadn't just read [b:The Summer Prince|13453104|The Summer Prince|Alaya Dawn Johnson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347724491s/13453104.jpg|18979477] which was YA and first-person and deliciously complex.

As it is, while I enjoyed reading this, I can't say I'm particularly interested in following Alina's adventures further, especially as they seem mostly comprised of having realisations and levelling up. (I might've been interested in seeing the story of someone else in the world to layer over some variations, but looks like the series is purely Alina, so nevermind.) ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
Reseña en español: http://boisde-merveilles.blogspot.mx/2017/03/sombra-y-hueso-trilogia-grisha-1-le...

I have a lot of things to say about this book, most of them are positive. When I started reading it I didn’t know what to expect, I’ve read very good reviews about this book but everyone seemed to agree that Six of Crows is better than The Grisha Trilogy, so I debated a lot with myself about what book buy, Six of Crows or this one, in the end I chose this one because it was cheaper, I have my copy signed by the author.

I must say I really liked the setting, Ravka was inspired by Russia, so it’s pretty interesting to see how Bardugo introduced some elements of Russian Culture, and how she managed to use those elements to create a new world with different social and hierarchic rules. What I think was the most interesting part of Ravka was how the power of the Grisha works not only that it gives people social status depending on their ability, but also that there are a lot of different abilities and each one is identified by the color of clothes the person wears.

The main idea of darkness being a physical thing, represented by the Shadow Fold, is pretty interesting and imaginative that reminds of how much darkness can scare us thinking that there is something there that wants to kill us, I don’t know you guys, but when I was little I was afraid of the dark.

I liked Alina as protagonist; she is more flawed than other female protagonists in Young Adult novels. She is not pretty and is physically weak and has a bad attitude. The book is written in first person, so we only know Alina’s point of view. I’m glad she is not that whiny in her thoughts, and that the book describes only what’s truly necessary for the plot, when things get slow, there is some time skip to avoid boring stuff.

Mal was the main love interest, I must say I was never fond of him; he didn’t leave a memorable impression in me. The second male lead was the mysterious Darkling, he is a very interesting character always surrounded by this mysterious aura and has some seductive charisma that makes him hard to decipher.

The book hooked me up in the first pages; it has an interesting beginning that, along the final part, is written in third person. The book is fast paced and has some action and romance with interesting twists in the plot that, at least to me, were kind of unpredictable.

If you want to read a book with an interesting setting and magic style, that has interesting characters and some action and romance, this book is definitely for you. ( )
  Rosechaser110 | Jul 17, 2019 |
I read the last 250 pages in one sitting, on to the next one... ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
Why is it so everloving difficult to find a good fantasy YA novel? Is it too much to ask for a good plot, interesting, complex characters, and an unusual and creative magic system?

Apparently it is. ( )

Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather: Tell me some lies.
The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest, and because they haunted the Duke's house like giggling phantoms, darting in and out of rooms, hiding in cupboards to eavesdrop, sneaking into the kitchen to steal the last of the summer peaches.

Orphaned by the Border Wars, Alina Starkov is taken from obscurity and her only friend, Mal, to become the protegé of the mysterious Darkling, who trains her to join the magical elite in the belief that she is the Sun Summoner, who can destroy the monsters of the Fold.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,402,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible