The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls

by Claire Legrand

Other authors: Sarah Watts (Illustrator)

Practically-perfect twelve-year-old Victoria Wright must lie, sneak, and break the rules when her investigation of the disappearance of her best--and only--friend, Lawrence, reveals dark secrets about her town and the orphanage run by the reclusive Mrs. Cavendish.

A creepy mystery with super gross details and a fantastic main character. I loved Victoria, and while it might not be the most original of storylines, it's so well written I didn't really care. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
3.5 stars. I read this because I was planning to assign it for the kids’ book club at my library, but I’m afraid a few small elements might be too gruesome. I like the general creepy and spooky atmosphere and I think the 9-12 set could handle that without too much issue, but man. If only it weren’t for those little things. I’ll think about it. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |
Creepy! But I like the main character's transformation a lot. ( )
  DeidreH | Jan 26, 2020 |
Delightfully creepy, and I don't really like creepy stories. I will be sure to recommend this to fans of Coraline. Both have creepy substitute parents (and others), as well as acid-trip horror scenes. I don't know if it's because I was rushing through the scary parts, but when things really got going at the end, I found it hard to follow exactly what was going on. Was that intentional? That the reader be as disoriented as Victoria? Or was it sloppy writing? Hard to tell. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls Are you ready for something different? Ready for something deliciously creepy? Brace yourself and open the pages of Claire Legrand's The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls.

From the first page I was completely enamored with Miss Victoria Wright. Practically perfect in every way, Victoria is the epitome of order. A pristine room, impeccably clean clothing, and an eloquence far beyond her age. This is why it is so charming to see her paired with Lawrence. The exact opposite of her in every way, he brings out the best in her even when it seems that the two of them are incompatible.

Which is why it is so much fun to follow them on the eerie journey that they undertake. In the name of friendship, Victoria faces nightmarish rooms and horrific entities. Fiendish things go on behind the doors of the Cavendish home, and it is the slow buildup that set the mood. Mrs. Cavendish is a baddie of the highest caliber. The kind that sneaks under your skin and brings on goosebumps while you read. Perfect, yet deadly. In fact, the perfect nemesis for our heroine Victoria!

I don't generally like to compare books, but the highest compliment that I can give to Claire Legrand's book is that it is on par with Coraline. A gorgeous mix of a coming-of-age story and a shiver inducing, fiendish plot. If you aren't a fan of critters that scurry in the dark, beware the tiny illustrations that pepper this book! I honestly can't gush enough about how bewitching this book really is. What I can say is that it deserves a place at the tip-top of your reading list! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |

Legrand, Claireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Watts, SarahIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

At the Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls, you will definitely learn your lesson. A dark, timeless, and heartfelt novel for fans of Coraline and The Mysterious Benedict Society. Victoria hates nonsense. There is no need for it when your life is perfect. The only smudge on her pristine life is her best friend Lawrence. He is a disaster—lazy and dreamy, shirt always untucked, obsessed with his silly piano. Victoria often wonders why she ever bothered being his friend. (Lawrence does too.)

But then Lawrence goes missing. And he’s not the only one. Victoria soon discovers that The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls is not what it appears to be. Kids go in but come out…different. Or they don’t’ come out at all.

If anyone can sort this out, it’s Victoria—even if it means getting a little messy.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,272,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible