Tell the Wolves I'm Home

by Carol Rifka Brunt

It is 1987, and only one person has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus -- her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn's company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June's world is turned upside down. But Finn's death brings a surprise acquaintance into June's life -- someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart.… (more)

English (218)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (223)
If you want a good cry this is the story for you. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
This book gets high ratings from most reviewers, but not from me. I did not like it at all. Despite a serious topic -- how a young girl and her family deal with the death from AIDS of her uncle and godfather, a very gifted painter -- it had a tweenage feel, all about relationships and feelings. The main plotline is the young girl and the uncle's boyfriend grieving together surreptitiously.

In retrospect, I did not like 14-year old June's voice: it felt contrived ... oscillating between a mature adult and an immature teenager. Maybe that is real? ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Read this for our book club, and really enjoyed it.
It had moments where it got really uncomfortable - perhaps just because of the ages of the kids, and being a child of the 80s....
have your tissues ready. ( )
  jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |
adult fiction (family drama; 1980s AIDS epidemic in New York). I liked the depth and layers of each characters. You may need to have tissues on hand (sad alert!).

update: I forgot that I'd read this 5 years ago when I picked up the audio version: deftly narrated by [a:Amy Rubinate|4618495|Amy Rubinate|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1406092170p2/4618495.jpg], who brings 14-y.o. June to life as she mourns her favorite uncle and best friend, as well as her perfectly bitter older sister Greta. I think I prefer it as a print book, because my mind keeps zoning out and I have to go back and listen again, and the necessarily slower pace of the audio recording is making this book seem extra long, but it is still a beautifully layered story, and a recommended read either way. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I don't know how to rate this one.
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
For Maddy, Oakley, and Julia
My sister, Greta, and I were having our portrait painted by our uncle Finn that afternoon because he knew he was dying.
You could try to believe what you wanted, but it never worked. Your brain and your heart decided what you were going to believe and that was that. Whether you liked it or not.
You could never see any wolves in there. They hid, probably trying to pretend they weren't in a cage. Probably knowing that they looked just like plain old dogs when they were behind bars.
The gold in our hair looked so perfect right then, and I knew we both saw it. We could see the way it made us look like the closest of sisters. Girls made of exactly the same stuff.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,224,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible