A Life Of My Own by Denise Skelton

115,447,655 (3.5)None
Recently added byAllizabeth

No tags.

Description:

Liz is not happy. Her husband is controlling and mentally abusive, her step-children are ungrateful brats, and she cannot help but feel down on herself, but after a chance meeting with a stranger, she decides that she deserves better, and heads on a road-trip towards a new life.

Review:

I really enjoyed reading about Liz's journey to find a life of her own. Her character grows so much throughout her interactions with the people she meets along the way. Each new home, new job, and new community brings her closer to the realization that she is worth something, and that she deserves to live out the dreams once stifled by her awful husband. I know many men and women who give up their goals when they get married/have children, feeling that they are unattainable; so I definitely understand the reality of Liz's emotional state in the beginning, versus her eventual awareness of her own choices. I found the dialogue well-written and genuine, as were the characters and their relationships. I was happy to accompany Liz on her trip across the states towards a new beginning! Overall, a wonderfully warmhearted addition to the chick-lit genre! Recommended to readers of women's fiction/ chick-lit.

Rating: Bounty's Out (3.5/5)

* I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Jun 9, 2012 |

In Denise Skelton’s New Woman’s Fiction: Two unappreciative teens, a verbally abusive husband, and an aggressive and interfering ex-wife is a “normal” part of her life. One Saturday morning when Liz’s husband barks at her to, “Git your ass to the store and git my beer, woman,”. She literally ran into someone who gave her unexpected but much needed advice. Liz decides it’s time to get a life of her own. Traveling from Pennsylvania, to Michigan, to Washington State, she learns about friendship, happiness and love. Moreover Liz discovers who she really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

Two obnoxious teens, a cruel husband, and his interfering ex-wife were all a normal part of my life. One Saturday morning when my husband barked at me to Git your ass to the store and git my beer, woman!, I crashed into a wonderful lady who gave me some unexpected, but much needed advice. Liz you deserve better. You need some time for yourself. From Philadelphia, to Michigan, to Washington State, I learned about friendship, happiness, heart ache and true love. More importantly, I found A Life of My Own.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,705,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible