The Mission Myth: Building Nonprofit…

The Mission Myth: Building Nonprofit Momentum Through Better Business

by Deirdre Maloney

422,369,008 (4.67)None
Recently added bySovranty, gtdbizmom, Teichrib, Cascadian

If you’ve never read a book about nonprofit management, money, marketing and measurement that was so engaging that you couldn’t put it down – then this is the book for you! From the moment I picked it up, I was caught up in the coaching of the author Deirdre Maloney who breathed new life into a very “cerebral” topic. The book was fun, entertaining, and a powerful teaching tool. The examples she shared from her personal life experience as a nonprofit Executive Director helped deepen my insight into the struggles EDs face on a daily basis and how to serve their real needs. I think I dog-eared every other page and I can’t wait to read it and have put it in a place of honor on my desk as a trusted reference. I can’t wait to read it again! ( )
  gtdbizmom | May 15, 2012 |
In the specific world of political nonprofits, I first heard it described as the Sir Galahad mistake: the belief that "our side shall win for we are pure of heart." In this excellent book, Deirdre Maloney expands the idea into the Mission Myth -- the feeling (I put it that way because it's not always a conscious idea) all too common among nonprofit staff that because we are good people working together to achieve good ends -- and not greedy, competitive "suits" -- the very power of our goodness is enough to make us successful.

In her years as executive director of a major nonprofit charity, Deirdre Maloney confronted the Mission Myth, first and most painfully in herself, but also among board members, donors, staff, and volunteers. She believes, and argues convincingly, that in order to be successful ... in order to achieve the very "good things" that motivate people to work for nonprofits in the first place ... leaders need to run their organization >gasp ( )
  Cascadian | Mar 9, 2012 |
Tp the clients, staff and board members of Colorado AIDS Project, who shared seven years of lessons learned... And to my husband and all-around favorite person, Jason, who never let me whine too much as I learned them.
When I first took over at Colorado AIDS Project, or CAP as I'll call it from here on in, it was a fun place to work.

What is the Mission Myth? Most nonprofits believe that to achieve success all they need is passion and heart. The truth? It is only when they integrate The Four Ms: Management Money Marketing Measurement that they will achieve optimal results. Here are strategies, anecdotes, and pracital tips for new levels of success - all derived from nonprofits that reached new heights. Offering validation, camaraderie, laughter, and hope, The Mission Myth helps you do good...well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,587,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible