Operation Downfall

Operation Downfall

631,796,759 (2.67)None

I couldn't get past the author's writing style to get interested in the story. He had grammatical errors that just drove me nuts (most notably, a lack of necessary commas after clauses). In addition, I found his overuse of descriptions to be distracting and it bugs me when words are broken across lines using hyphens. Not my type of book. ( )
  eheinlen | Jul 25, 2012 |
I received this book through LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

This is not your typical good guys vs. bad guys thriller novel. More like bad guys vs. worse guys.
To call Mariah O'Leary a heroine, is abit of a stretch. Yes, she is trying to stop the President and his cohorts from killing innocent Americans and start a war for their own financial gain. Yes,she is wanting to expose corrupt politicians and businessmen. but she is involved in so many illegal activities herself, along with her friends.
They kill people, then dispose of the bodies. They illegally tap phones and hack computers. When a man is caught having oral sex with a 13 year old boy, do they turn him in? No, they videotape him and use it to blackmail him. This is our so-called heroine? Sorry, not in my world!!

The Harrison/Kennington family dynamic is too much to take. Victoria is Lillian's mother and sister. Sean is Lillian's brother and uncle AND LOVER, even after they know of the family ties.......ewwww!

At times I felt that the author thinks his readers are stupid, and need things to be either repeated over and over or explained. (Such as....."Meals Ready to Eat, or MREs", "Eisenhower Executive Office Building, or EEOB", "A vest filled with eider down, the mottled brown feathers from the female eider duck")
O'Leary's dialogue at times is cheesy and unbelievable.
Everyone seems to bring hidden ditigal recorders to private meetings, but nobody ever thinks to frisk each other before talking.
The author used this book to voice his political opinion of W.'s administration , and the war they began. He put them down over and over and over. ( )
  pamkaye | Jul 21, 2012 |
Daniel McNeet has created quite the web of intrigue, corruption, deceit, and politics. There are so many twists and turns that you'll be surprised at every corner. At times, you'll be shocked. The beautiful Mariah O'Leary is hired by her old college friend, the President of the United States, to find his son at the same time she is hired by an industrialist to find his missing secretary. Immediately after, she is hired by the son and secretary, who are lovers, to protect and stop secret plans the industrialist and President have put together. They want to murder thousands of poor, black people and blame it on terrorists. They want to go to war with Iran to gain access to their oil. The ring leader behind all of this is the Vice President, and his consortium of oil barons, who want the President killed. There is incest, kidnapping, murder. All the things you expect from corrupt politicians. Or as Mariah calls them, corrupticians. She is a very smart, very strong women. She mostly works in the ghetto, helping those who can't afford representation any other way. She is such a good person, you want her to win. She has by her side a bunch of ex CIA and ex-Special Forces clandestine operatives, who will do as she asks, no matter when, without questions. Can they turn the war plan upside down and make it fail? This is one of the best political thrillers I have read in a long time. It's a page turner. You hate the bad guys and cheer for the good guys. As a geek, the technology was exciting. The various ways murder was committed were very interesting. It's not your run of the mill shoot & kill. I'm very much looking forward to more of Mariah O'Leary. I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes complex political thrillers. ( )
  seashellmoore | Feb 20, 2012 |

“I thoroughly enjoyed Operation Downfall. Your characters are well-drawn and your plotting is concise and engaging – not to mention wonderfully dark. Thanks again for sending me a copy of your terrific book.” —William Friedkin, Academy Award winning film director of The French Connection, The Exorcist

What would you do if you stumbled into a plot at the highest levels of government to launch an illegal war?

Sinfully beautiful L.A. lawyer Mariah O’Leary devotes her practice to helping the poor navigate through the legal system. During a routine missing-persons investigation she uncovers a plot by the president, vice president and a co-conspirator billionaire to go to war illegally. Their reckless actions threaten the lives of thousands of innocent Americans on U.S. soil.

As an American and as a person with a conscious what would you do?

Mariah is nobody’s fool.  And best of all, she has a trump card ready to be played: she went to college with the president and knows more about him than anyone in and out of government.  Mariah will do what most people only dream about — expose the amoral corrupticians and their political machinery deep within and outside the White House.

In Operation Downfall by Daniel McNeet the action takes place in Washington, D.C. and Georgetown, Bel Air and Los Angeles, California and Houston, Texas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,807,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible