Hollywood Boulevard

by Janyce Stefan-Cole

Glamorous film star Ardennes Thrush is locked in a closet by a stalker and is left to contemplate her relationship with her husband and her new, heated attraction to the police detective assigned to her stalker case.

I love Hollywood themed books and the set up on this one was pretty good. We meet a young, talented actress, that marries one of her directors and then decides to retire and never act again. She's bored with this existence but can't seem to shake off the inertia.
Unfortunately this inertia bleeds into the plot and honestly not a whole lot happens and I was left unsatisfied and wanting the end to live up to the beginning.
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have tried now three separate times to read this book. I have never made it past the first 100 pages. That's all I give a book, I'm afraid -- there are just too many things on my TBR list to waste the reading time I've got. If you can't make a connection with your reader in the first 100 pages, why should they stick with the book?
  LisaLynne | Dec 2, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am late getting this review up because of several reasons and I apologize to Early Review for it.

I wasn't really able to get into this book and I was looking forward to it since I had read the early review description. Aside from the very slow start, I was never able to connect with Ardennes Thrush and that made it very difficult to really care what was going on or happening to her. For a book billed as a psychological thriller, having all the action happen to the main character, who is very passive, doesn't measure up for me.

It was interesting to get an "inside" look at Hollywood, and the strange manipulations of those in it, but, unfortunately, the tedium of the action and the passivity of the characters cannot make up for it. This is not a book I can highly recommend. ( )
  chensel477 | Sep 20, 2012 |
This novel was released in April, though my copy was an uncorrected proof provided for review.

Ardennes Thrush is a literate, intelligent individual who hasn't really been doing much of anything since she retired from acting. Exactly why she retired is something that remains unclear, and is left open to the reader's interpretation.

To be honest, the novel is a little boring - but it's possible this is on purpose. Here is this glamorous former movie star, hanging out in her hotel room and spying on her neighbors. People who are trying to be invisible, even when they're quietly suffering a nervous breakdown, are often kind of boring.

Despite the slight tedium of the novel, I did enjoy many aspects of it. In particular, it is obvious that the writer is herself a huge fan of reading. Reading the words of someone else who is a fan of literature can often be a beautiful experience, and reading this novel does sometimes inspire the reader to devour great works of literature.

Difficult to recommend, because of the boring factor. Perhaps suited to those who like acting, reading, or a combination of the two.
  shellyquade2 | May 29, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Man ,oh man was I disappointed by this. The first few pages I was convinced it would take me two weeks to read as it as painstakingly slow. Cole was struggling to evoke, mood, setting and characters all at the same time and it was half-way through before she either got enough information to me or maybe just I stopped caring. There was something, besides the lead character’s name itself, that didn’t set well with me from the beginning, but I managed to pick out a thread or two that was interesting. In the end though, I couldn’t believe how manipulative everyone was, even for “Hollyweird” and I felt like I had just completed reading a script for the “Women in Distress” channel, one that would never get produced. ( )
  debavp | Apr 8, 2012 |
I used to think about quitting all the time. Then I quit, and now I still think about it.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Janyce Stefan-Cole's book Hollywood Boulevard was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,765,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible