Blue Aspen by Tenaya Jayne

Blue Aspen

by Tenaya Jayne

Blue Aspen is a paranormal / fantasy romance that delves into the dark recesses of the mind. It is a story of a seventeen year old girl's descent into madness, where the dream realm becomes the reality that she prefers to live in rather than the cruel real world in which she had known. While I found the book description to be intriguing, once I began to read the book I found it a slow read that was so dark and bizarre, I had a hard time really getting into seventeen year old Dulcee Elder's story. I found that the storyline had a lot of holes throughout the whole book that left me shaking my head and questioning why the author didn't delve further into these areas: why was Dulcee's childhood so bad; what was the significance of her father and aunt's murders; what really was the significance of her uncle's story; what was the significance of the psychiatrist's story; etc ... I'm sorry, but this story was just too bizarre for me and the ending just left me shaking my head in annoyance. I wish I could say that I enjoyed the book, and while I will admit that I was intrigued by the characters' complexities, and the author does provide a story rich in detail and vivid descriptions, this story was just not my cup of tea. Every person is entitled to their own opinion, and while this was not a story that I enjoyed, perhaps others will find this dark story enjoyable.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/10/blue-aspen-by-tenaya-jayne-aut... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Oct 2, 2012 |
This is my first novel. I couldn't find the book I was looking for so I wrote it myself. ( )
  tenayajayne | Oct 5, 2010 |
I’m wondering what words can describe all the different emotions I went through reading this very intense page turner: let me see how about…, intrigued, freaked out, sad, angry, giddy...................When Dulcee arrives at Uncle Jacks it’s unreal. The prologue alludes to a dark, gothic feel but the magical atmosphere slowly pulls the reader into a world of madness. The house itself is like an entire character complete with indoor pool, library, greenhouse, bowling alley and her own giant master bedroom. What’s a girl not to love! Even with its castle like charms, and backdrop of winter; roaming the house with Dulcee made me feel its intense isolation and the vast loneliness seeped off the pages, no wonder a person could go mad. Just when the reader thinks Dulcee is being stalked by demon shadows in walks Vincent. .........A dark and mysterious Vincent romances Dulcee, he heals her heart, helps her sleep and has sexy blue eyes. I have to say I found it difficult to experience the romance between these two because frankly..... Vincent thoroughly freaked me out!!

Vincent is seen largely in the dream world but he’s able to manifest into Dulcee’s reality. He comes off the page as a gentleman but underneath he is a dark predator. I was thinking the whole time “Oh Dulcee ……RUN”!!!!

Once we dive into the second part of the book we are introduced to Dr. Verell where the story gets even more mysterious. I was on the edge of my seat shifting between Dr. Verell and Dulcees perspectives. Once I thought I had it figured out and then something would throw me off. I was seriously guessing until the last page....................( ( )
  Tinasbookreviews | Mar 24, 2010 |

Tenaya Jayne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,921,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible