Rust by Glen Joshpe M. D.
223,663,697 (2.75)None
Recently added byskstiles612, Allizabeth
ADV (1) mystery (1) science (1)

Review:

As of late, I have become a huge fan of medical-based fiction, particularly thrillers - think Robin Cook, Kathy Reichs and Tess Gerritson, so when I read the blurb for RUST, I knew it was the book for me! Unfortunately, after 132 pages, I still could not attest to the cover's promise of, "tantalizing, scientifically-based action". There was more than enough scientific and medical jargon, (almost to the point of extreme), but if there was action, I really did not witness it. There are a couple sections that warrant an increase in pulse, however, most of the novel is dialogue, meetings, investigations, and a mild sense of dread. The tagline should read 'scientifically-based novel'; it had the potential for thrills, but with so much science and so little climax, I felt that it started to drone on around page 88. I am a scientist, so I know a lot of terminology and complex medical processes, but even my background in medicine and anatomy did not prepare me for some of the lingo used in this novel; the good news is that I got some use out of my kindle dictionary app. Overall, I enjoyed the characters and diagrams, and most of the plot-line was satisfactory, nevertheless, the story seemed unrealistic at times. Glen Joshpe's writing style is quite engaging, but if he wants a wider audience he will need to pull back some of the shoptalk and add in some combat. Not everyone is a gerontologist or other medical professional, which makes RUST's intended audience harder to pinpoint. Personally, I recommend it to those who have a background in the sciences, or readers who are "prepared to understand aging like never before." (RUST p-iii)

Rating: DNR (2.5/5)

*** I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Jul 29, 2012 |
I'm not really sure how to describe this book. There was so much medical jargon and description that someone not familiar with it would probably be turned off. At times I felt as if I was reading a medical book. Fortunately when my sister was going through nursing school my favorite summer past time was reading her nursing books for fun. Yes I know that sounds strange, but if it had words I read it. I enjoyed the scientific material. I read it straight through at one sitting. I had to see what happened and how it would end.

Alex Stein is a Cornell University scientist who has discovered how to prolong life. This is discovered when data from a census taker in a region of Africa comes across the desk at the U.S. Census Bureau in Washington, D.C. This was so far off the charts that it raised a red flag. This prompted the CIA to get involved. The CIA sent Carlton Terry to Alaska to track down Alex's former roommate, Steve Hinton. Word reaches Alex that the CIA is trying to locate him and he decides he must leave Africa. Carlton learns all he can from Steve Hinton and is informed of Alex's disappearance. Their next plan of attack is to locate Alex's grand-daughter Abby. He goes in undercover. When Steve Hinton is killed Carlton realizes he must locate Alex and protect him and Abby at all cost. Read the book to find out who else is after Alex and what they would kill to find out.

I enjoyed the mystery line of the story. I loved the way it ended. I even enjoyed learning more about the body. This may be the teacher in me that is always wanting to learn more. The author has given several resources in the book that are actual working sites. He himself graduated from New York Medical College. He has published three other books. He currently lives in Bradenton, Florida with his wife Vicki. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jul 28, 2012 |

When Cornell University scientist, Alex Stein comes across a life altering finding in Africa, a series of action-packed adventures crossing continental divides are set into motion. As the very essence of life's mysteries become unraveled, the CIA, the Russian mafia, and Stein himself fight to retain control.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,897,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible