Strings Attached by Mandy Baggot

Strings Attached

by Mandy Baggot

195537,190 (4.14)None

It was predictable but that is not always a bad thing. I enjoyed the simple style, the clear like/dislike of characters and it was very very easy to read when not feeling well ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
George Frasier isn't your average woman. For one, she started her own business, Finger Food, from the ground up and have been steadily making a name for herself in the catering community. Yet, foodie success aside, there's a lot more to George than her business acumen. She's also a feisty beer-drinker, who's masochistic approach to repression and inherent ability to speak her mind make her an interesting character from page one.

She's had a bunch of tough breaks. Her heart is broken by the fabulous Paul, who was forced to move away, leaving her alone and unbeknownst to Paul, pregnant with their child. George, is forced to put the baby up for adoption. Now, over twenty years later, she's still being punished for past regrets, or at least where her mother is concerned. She's never forgiven George, despite all of the effort that George has put into turning her life around. Her hopes solely rest on making a solid go of her business.

Enter Quinn Blake, he's an American rock star who has all of the women captivated for his incredible good looks and all of the men addicted to his musical talent andheart-pounding anthems. Quinn is giving a three-night concert series and his PA, Michael Lambert, contacts George about handling the catering. This is a big break for George and she can't turn it down. So she enlists the help of her staff, the witty and off-beat Marisa, the hysterical Helen, the dry Curly Shirley, and her brother and music major, Adam, to help her pull it off.

That night, the event goes off without a hitch. The food is inventive, the feedback positive, and Michael is practically brimming with enthusiasm for night two. Still, George's nerves are entirely out of control, though that's got nothing to do with work-related stress and everything to do with the enigmatic Quinn Blake.

Quinn is used to having women throw themselves at his feet. What he's not used to is being told "no". When he sees George and becomes hyper-aware of her, he decides that she is the woman that he will spend the night with. The only problem is that George is having none of it. Especially when she finds out that he's engaged to the self-involved, botox-injected Taylor who give us Americans a bad name.

I don't always pick up romance immediately, but having met Mandy through http://www.loveahappyending.com, she quickly be came the author that I wanted to read. Oh was this book worth it! Mandy Baggot's style of writing is highly enjoyable; her characters are hysterical and feel like the friends that we all wish we had.

Characters who are more than they seem initially, appeal to me. I was almost instantly going to write off Quinn Blake as a sexist, narcissistic slime, good-looking or not. Yet, page by page we get exposed to another layer of each of these characters. Add to that a quickly developing series of subplots that make you wonder where the story is going to end up. Strings Attached flows so well that you never want to put it down.

Whether you are a mother, wife, daughter, best friend, or even a husband or boyfriend looking for some lines to get you out of trouble with your significant other, Strings Attached is a wonderful read. With more books being added to Baggot’s shelf of offerings in 2012, Lady Baggot is clearly an author to watch. ( )
  Stephanie_Keyes | Apr 3, 2014 |
As always I love to read a story that includes a rock star. This lived up to my expectations and then some. George is a woman trying to move on from her past of being a reckless youth and manages to build up her catering business now that she is an independent woman. She appeals instantly. She is surrounded by some clever characters and find herself falling in love no less with a rock star. Some unexpected secrets that she harbors affects not only her new found love but her future. So many twists in this story that really shocked me. The author has the escalation of George's emotions and stress level perfectly. The reader feels the breaking point of this character along with her. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | May 24, 2012 |
Wow! This book makes me completely out of myself.
It’s a great story very well developed with no missing thing.
It is about George (short from Georgina) 34 years old caterer, a very successful and promising. She lives a coy life without relationships and she so dedicated to her caterer firm. George have employee Helen, who is her friend too.
Helen is a modest woman, quite and dedicated to her work.
Helen’s daughter Marisa is young girl, very hilarious and chatty. I have to admit I laugh so much to Marisa “acts”.
George lives her quite life-working ,but when she have a job to catering parties to charming star Quinn Black everything go up side down in her life.
Past and future is going to mixtures in one point. Life, love and so missed things, which must been happened again.
And… Quinn is so charming and adorable men, who every woman would love to him. ( )
  silvana77 | Jan 27, 2012 |
You can also read my review here: http://bookbybookreview.blogspot.com/2011/11/review-strings-attached.html

This book had me on the edge of my seat, literally (I read it on my laptop at the kitchen table). So full of plot twists and characters that you wanted to cheer for or cry with, it was a book that left me breathless.

After getting over the fact that George wasn't a bearded man but instead, Georgina, a 30-something, attractive FEMALE caterer, I was in her corner... wanting her parents to get over the past and love her the way that I did, hoping that she would find the love that she so deserved and that her past wouldn't come back to haunt her. George's character was developed so well that she really did feel like a friend. Her crew, Marisa, Helen and Adam were like neighbours that have lived around the corner your whole life.

As for Quinn... well - RAWR... that is all I can say!

Mandy Baggot's growth as an author is so clear in this book - she really has come leaps and bounds in her ability to put a story together. Just when I thought that I had the story figured out, she would throw in another twist and send me spinning in a completely different direction. Strings Attached is a novel that will be making Mandy Baggot a household name!

Overall, this book had me running through every possible emotion and at the end, left me knowing that there really can be happy endings. I cannot wait for Mandy's next novel!

LindsayGentles | Jan 11, 2012 |

Mandy Baggot is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,057,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible