Shadow Show by Sam Weller

Shadow Show (2012)

by Sam Weller (Editor), Mort Castle (Editor)

Other authors: Margaret Atwood (Contributor), Jay Bonansinga (Contributor), Gary A. Braunbeck (Contributor), Bonnie Jo Campbell (Contributor), Ramsey Campbell (Contributor)20 more, Mort Castle (Contributor), Dan Chaon (Contributor), Dave Eggers (Contributor), Harlan Ellison (Contributor), Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Joe Hill (Contributor), Alice Hoffman (Contributor), Julia Keller (Contributor), Kelly Link (Contributor), John Maclay (Contributor), Lee Martin (Contributor), Robert Mccammon (Contributor), John McNally (Contributor), Joe Meno (Contributor), Jacquelyn Mitchard (Contributor), Thomas F. Monteleone (Contributor), Audrey Niffenegger (Contributor), Bayo Ojikutu (Contributor), Sam Weller (Contributor), Charles Yu (Contributor)

English (30)  French (1)  All languages (31)
Some good stories and some OK. The bits at the ends of the stories where the writers talk about Bradbury were nice. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Aug 5, 2017 |
A series of short stories in tribute to Ray Bradbury

Nicely-executed by a load of writers and artists, these stories reflect the imagination and writing of Ray Bradbury. Neil Gaiman and Harlan Ellison are probably the best known of the authors.

Some of very well-illustrated, others less so but it all comes down to personal preference as is the case for an appreciation of the stories, some of which are delightful, others less so.

I do not Ray Bradbury’s work well enough to see how the tributes relate to his work but I enjoyed a lot of this..
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |
In most of the anthologies that I've read there are often some good stories, some bad stories, and some in between. The end result is that I usually feel ambivalent. When I first started reading Shadow Show, I thought this anthology would be more of the same after reading the first story, which was written by Neil Gaiman As it turns out, Gaiman's story was the weakest in the anthology, which is chocked full of quality writing and quality stories. Shadow Show is a tribute to Ray Bradbury, one of the greatest science fiction writers to ever live. Some of the stories clearly struck a chord in giving a definite Bradbury feel. Even the ones that didn't still were generally high quality and entertaining.

There were so many good and interesting stories that it's hard to say which ones were the best. If I had to single out two stories that really stood out were "The Girl in the Funeral Parlor" by Sam Weller, which had a great haunting quality, and "The Companions" by David Morrell, which is one of the best short stories I've ever read, the sort that stays with you long after you read it. The list of authors is quite impressive including Joe Hill, Robert McCammon, and Ramsey Campbell. If you are a fan of Bradbury or quality speculative fiction, this is an anthology that you will want to read. The vision that Sam Weller and Mort Castle had in creating this was definitely fulfilled, and it is a fitting tribute to Bradbury.

Carl Alves - author of Reconquest: Mother Earth ( )
  Carl_Alves | Dec 21, 2014 |
An anthology of stories dedicated to and/or inspired by Ray Bradbury, including quite a few by big-name authors like Neil Gaiman, Margaret Atwood, and Harlan Ellison. In some there's an explicit and obvious connection to Bradbury, while for others he's more of a vague influence.

Being a fan of Bradbury's, I started this with high hopes, but found the first handful of stories to be quite a letdown, my reaction to them ranging from, "Well, I appreciate what the author is trying to do, but it's not really working for me" to "Geez, this reads like it was written by a high school student." Mostly it was just making me really wish I was reading Bradbury instead. But then, just as I was resigning myself to disappointment, the book took a complete turn and, as if rewarding me for making it that far, presented me with a lovely string of good-to-fantastic stories all in a row. (I will call special attention to Joe Hill's "By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain, in particular. It's inspired by a specific Bradbury story -- "The Foghorn" -- without feeling at all derivative, and the themes, tone, and language strongly evoke Bradbury, while the story remains very much Joe Hill's. It's pretty much the platonic ideal of what a story for a collection like this should be, and it's also just darned good.)

The rest of it gets more uneven after that, but I ended the book feeling orders of magnitude better about it all than I did at the start.

Rating: I'm going to give this one a (slightly tenuous) 4/5, as the best stories really do very nicely redeem it from the bad ones. ( )
  bragan | Dec 18, 2014 |
I didn't get around to starting this review until I'd listened for quite a while & there are a lot of stories. I probably won't review them all & certainly not in detail, but figure they were at least decent stories & well read.

Sam Weller and Mort Castle - Introduction - Not the best intro, but serviceable, especially if you're not familiar with Bradbury's history.

Ray Bradbury - Second Homecoming - Quite good, especially the talk about it.

Neil Gaiman - The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury - Apparently unmemorable after just a few days. I really can't even though I listened to bits of it again. It's read in a British accent, probably by Gaiman, so it will probably catch his fans' interest.

Margaret Atwood - Headlife - This was VERY disappointing, especially from 2 big names doing homage to another. The story wasn't innovative, surprising, creepy, or compelling. It was obvious & better handled on Futurama. Then [a:George Takei|260482|George Takei|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1208467364p2/260482.jpg] overacted his reading horribly which made a poor story even worse. He was unintelligible at times. They should have just pissed on Bradbury's grave, but added insult to injury by wasting my time on this.

Jay Bonansinga - Heavy - Now this was a Bradburian tale! Kudos! Surprises, suspense, & black humor every step of the way.

Sam Weller - The Girl In The Funeral Parlor - Ditto! Every bit as creepy as anything Bradbury has done & yet there is an understandable longing, too.

[a:David Morrell|12535|David Morrell|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1218135781p2/12535.jpg] - The Companions - Same as above, excellent! I've read a lot of Morrell's books since he first rocked me with [b:First Blood|113110|First Blood|David Morrell|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344264970s/113110.jpg|1348264], which Stallone did a great job in, too. (Yes, the sequels sucked.) Morrell's other spy novels are really good too, but they're tough guy books so it was surprising to see him handle subtle creep & love so well.

[a:Thomas F. Monteleone|207766|Thomas F. Monteleone|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/m_50x66-09ae6e5eb554f8a5ab0515c05488ea34.png] - The Exchange - is an oft overlooked author. It's been years since I've read anything of his. Nice to see this story in the collection.

Lee Martin - Cat on a Bad Couch - sigh. Show, don't tell. He even says so in his afterword. Not a bad story, but a little less telling would have made it better.

Joe Hill - By The Silver Water Of Lake Champlain - was pretty close to fantastic. Can't say much without spoilers, so I'll leave it at that.

Dan Chaon - Little America - Interesting story, but the afterword, what Bradbury meant to him, was even better.

John McNally - The Phone Call - Wow, Twilight Zone script! Shades of Rod Sterling & Bradbury. Another good afterword.

Joe Meno - Young Pilgrims - This one & the next few are all ditto the above. Perfect Bradbury & all have great afterwords.
Robert McCammon - Children Of The Bedtime Machine -
Ramsey Campbell - The Page -
Mort Castle - Light -
Alice Hoffman - Conjure -
John Maclay - Max -
Jacqueline Mitchard - Two Of A Kind -

Up to this point, the stories were pretty wonderful. After this, I didn't care for them much. Missed the points, if they had any. George Takei read another & wasn't too bad, but he'll never be a favorite reader of mine. Some of the afterwords were quite good, though. Bradbury obviously made a huge difference.

Gary Braunbeck - Fat Man And Little Boy -
Bonnie Jo Campbell - The Tattoo -
Audrey Niffenegger - Backwards In Seville -
Charles Yu - Earth: (A Gift Shop) -
Julia Keller - Hayleigh's Dad -
Dave Eggers - Who Knocks? -
Bayo Ojikutu - Reservation 2020 -
Kelly Link - Two Houses -
Harlan Ellison - Weariness - Yuck. Ellison has gotten even worse. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

Niffenegger, AudreyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ojikutu, BayoContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weller, SamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yu, CharlesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
He published in Weird Tales and The New Yorker.
There is also a graphic novel published in 2015 by IDW called Shadow Show: Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury (isbn: 9781631402678, 1631402676). Please do not combine.

"Ray Bradbury-peerless storyteller, poet of the impossible, and one of America's most beloved authors-is a literary giant whose remarkable career has spanned seven decades. Now twenty-six of today's most diverse and celebrated authors offer new short works in honor of the master; stories of heart, intelligence, and dark wonder from a remarkable range of creative artists."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sam Weller's book Shadow Show was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,657,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible