Freedom's a-Callin Me by Ntozake Shange

Freedom's a-Callin Me

by Ntozake Shange

I thought this was a beautiful book, picture-wise, and I liked the poems a lot, too. I'd guess 5-7 years old as the appropriate age range for this one? ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
I enjoyed this poem book because of the mood and the topic. The mood of the book is very serious and I thought the author did a great job of showing this through the color of the background. During violence scenes the pages were red or during scary scenes the pages were black. The color went well with the text. I also, liked the topic. The text was very informative and real. For example, I didn’t know that Sojourner Truths used to pull out a gun and say “ freedom or death”, basically come with us or die. The main topic is freedom. ( )
  Rosalindd | Oct 28, 2015 |
This is a fictional, yet historical based book of narrative poems about racism, segregation and slavery.
  adriennelaine | Mar 12, 2015 |
This book is about the journey slaves had to take to become free. It highlights the brave souls who risked their lives to take the Underground Railroad to freedom. Beautifully illustrated, and even more beautifully written. I would recommend this book to students 3rd-6th grade. This book could also be used by the teacher during the Civil War (and leading up to it) unit in Social Studies. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Dec 12, 2014 |
The book showed the history of African American and how the freedom sprit support them.
  xliao | Oct 20, 2014 |

Award-winning poet Ntozake Shange and artist Rod Brown reimagine the journeys of the brave men and women who made their way to freedom on the Underground Railroad.

Fleeing on the Underground Railroad meant walking long distances; swimming across streams; hiding in abandoned shanties, swamps, and ditches, always on the run from slave trackers and their dogs.

ah might get hungry
ah may get tired
good Lawd /
ah may be free

The Underground Railroad operated on secrecy and trust. But who could be trusted?

There were free black and white men and women helping, risking their lives, too. Because freedom was worth any risk. Celebrated collaborators Ntozake Shange and Rod Brown pay tribute to the Underground Railroad, a universal story about the human need to be free.

ah am a livin bein’ & ah got to be free

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:06 -0400)

A collection of poems brings to life the treacherous journey of the travelers on the Underground Railroad, in a universal story about the human need to be free.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,686,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible