The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6 by Sai Yukino

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6

by Sai Yukino, Kairi Yura (Illustrator)

I can't help it, I love stories in which the underdog main character perseveres against bullying in order to prove their strength. I can't wait for the triumphant moment when those characters succeed even in the face of all of that.

Eigetsu is bullied because he's young and came from a poor village. Shurei is bullied even more because she's the first woman ever to take and pass the civil servant exam. Ryuki and the others are limited in what they can do to help, because their aid might make the situation worse and might cause others to doubt that Shurei excelled on the basis of her own efforts. Still, there were little moments when the could help, and I enjoyed those moments.

The whole Ryuki/Shurei thing makes me sigh. Shurei is now physically closer to Ryuki, but, in a lot of ways, much farther away. The difference between their positions is so great. Shurei adjusts to this fairly well (being a civil servant is more important to her than romance has ever been), but it really drives home to Ryuki how impossible his love for Shurei might be. He thought about some of this in previous volumes, and I'm glad he chose to support Shurei's happiness anyway. But wow, that's some painful one-sided love.

A couple other things I liked: Ryuki's hair (so pretty...), and the whole “make-up is war paint” thing.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 23, 2013 |

Sai Yukinoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Yura, KairiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the manga adaptation. Please do not combine with the light novel.

"Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisors. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne'er-do-well ruler to govern. The Blue Scarf Gang continues its attack on Kogaro. Yogetsu's strength during the battle gets the notice of the underworld bosses who want to recruit him, but Ryuki says the boy is already promised to him...?!"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,796,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible