Fire In The Sky by Joel Goldman

Fire In The Sky

by Joel Goldman

731,616,274 (4.38)None

whether it is a full-length novel or a short story, Joel Goldman can write. This is a short tale of two teenagers in depression-era Kansas City who go to the Electric Park every night to see the girls pose in the
fountain. This particular night a fire breaks out and the question is posed as to who has the balls to do something. The writing is crisp and this is no more than a ten minute read
  DaveWilde | Sep 22, 2017 |
Synopsis/blurb…..

Two teenage boys on the make, looking for love and a quick score cross paths with a desperate woman on the run. A blazing inferno and a shootout change their lives forever in Fire In The Sky!
--------------
My take......

In case it has escaped anyone’s attention, I am shamelessly padding the numbers with a lot of short fiction in order to try and hit my year end reading target of 120 books of various lengths and types. Another new author then in Joel Goldman, a three time Edgar Award nominee and the co-founder of Brash Books.

Fire in the Sky………is a short (obviously) tale set in a small town in America during the depression. Goldman packs a lot into this tale…….. friendship, lust, desire, fair-grounds, stunted prospects, bank robbers, a children’s home, fire, panic, gun play, hospitals, death and in a satisfying conclusion, a seizure of opportunity and the prospects of a brighter future as our adolescent hero takes a giant step towards manhood.

Possibly a missed chance here by Goldman as I kind of feel there was enough of a storyline going on that it deserved a longer treatment. That said a great introduction to another new-to-me author.

4 from 5

Joel Goldman’s website is here. http://www.joelgoldman.com/

You can acquire this story free by signing up to his newsletter, which is how I happened by it. Definitely an author I’ll read more from in the future.

http://col2910.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11... ( )
  col2910 | Nov 1, 2014 |
Recommended by: Joel Goldman
Read on January 04, 2014, read count: Twice

Thanks Joel for sending me this to read, thoughly enjoyed just like I do with all your stories. Such a quick read that I managed to lose myself in it for a while which was nice.
Please Keep them coming

If you enjoyed this story, check out his other books from Amazon, whilst looking at his blog

'Is it ever ok to cross the line? Just how far would you go to protect those you love?'
[...]

[...] Words Can Make the Difference In 2014
Posted December 26, 2013 by Joel Goldman & filed under Inspiration. ( )
  BarbeloAngel | Apr 15, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,806,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible