Caprice by Edward Aubry

by Edward Aubry

ebook (1) MG (1) YA (1)

English (8)  Piratical (1)  All (9)
I must say this book was not for me. I found it very difficult to really get into the story. I made it to chapter 15 and then couldn't read any more. I do hope it got better but I won't know. Too many other good books to spend time reading this. Sorry for the downer review, but just not my type of book. Thanks for the option of reviewing it.
  Aileen3403 | Apr 14, 2013 |
I won this book on Librarything.

I enjoyed Caprice. At some points, it was a little juvenile in the writing style. But it kept your interest.

Danny finds himself infatuated with the new girl at the office.When she seems to return his interest, he cant' believe it.
She kidnaps him and takes him on a wild adventure. Danny can't make up his mind what Caprice really is, but it's obvious that she's not human. She makes Danny feel every human emotion possible throughout the story (love, confusion, fear). As a reader, you find yourself believing his every assumption, then changing your mind when he does. What is Caprice and why did she really take Danny? ( )
  pamkaye | Aug 12, 2012 |
I won a copy of this book from Library Thing, first winning the eBook version and then buying the paperback on my own. It took me a really long time to get into it, it is a quirky, psychedelic book, but once I picked it up again I thought it was pretty good. I am normally not a fan of this genre, but decided to give it a try and I am glad that I did. The book is an adventure that the further it goes, the deeper the mystery of who Caprice is. At only 198 pages, this is a very quick read, but you need to read it slowly to digest it. ( )
  lg4154 | Jun 2, 2012 |
I won this book from Librarything in exchange for an honest review.

The way I felt reading this book is somewhat similar to how the main character feels about the psychedelic adventure that Caprice takes him on throughout the book. This technique was risky, but for the most part paid off in the end, and I appreciate that Aubry took this risk. I felt very unsteady and confused for the first half of the book (and so does Danny the protagonist). Here we have a very bizarre situation of a office crush turning into a crazy beautiful kidnapper. The ride was fun and breathless and very colorful (especially the constant description of Caprice's eyes).

I thought overall the writing was strong. I did have one large issue with this book, however. I feel that this book really hinges on the connection between Caprice and Danny. Unfortunately, I did not feel like they connected on an emotional level, and I didn't feel the development of a blooming relationship between them. I thought their interactions stilted and jarring. I was continually told as the reader that Danny had this attraction to Caprice, but other than his constant comments about her everchanging eye color, I couldn't fathom what he saw in her (the fact she kidnaps him, never tells him anything about herself, and asks very personal probing questions without any reciprocation on her part). I suppose we are to assume that she is so beautiful and vulnerable that any man would want to take care of her, but I wanted more.

That said, I enjoyed the big reveal at the end, and thought that it was nicely done. ( )
  chickey1981 | Feb 23, 2012 |

Recommended Age: 15+

Reviewed By: Emily Tuley / AngelsCryHavoc

Blog Reviewed For: Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community

Rating: 3 Ravens

The book started out strong I was actually starting to enjoy it a little then it became redundant and a little over zealous with its mystery of who and what Caprice was/ is. It got to the point that at the 75% mark in the book I had to stop close it out and decide if I wanted to finish it or if I wanted to throw it out the window with frustration as some parts were just to drawn out. Then I stopped thought better of it and decided that as a reviewer I needed to step back take a breath and push on through to finish the book . Though it was funny and moments in the book you laughed and even got a little sad the frustration behind the book became almost to the point of stopping. Seeing as how it’s not my cup of tea however, it very well may be your’s with that having been said I will say just what I say to everyone pick it up and take a look at it see if it excites you and gets you going to read. ( )
  Angelscryhavoc | Feb 20, 2012 |

What if your office crush almost killed you with a kiss? Danny Marx has an innocent infatuation with the cute, quirky new girl, Caprice. When she meets him in the stairwell one day and surprises him with an unprovoked, yet passionate kiss, he thinks his fantasies have finally come true. That is until moments later when he becomes violently ill and collapses. He awakens in a hospital where Caprice tells him that the kiss contained an exotic virus designed to intentionally make him sick. She breaks him out of the hospital claiming that both of their lives are in extreme danger. Fleeing with Caprice, Danny embarks on an adventure in which nothing is what it seems. Exactly who or what is Caprice? Why are their lives in danger and who is chasing them? Can Danny trust the girl of his dreams…or has she just tossed him into a nightmare?

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Edward Aubry's book Caprice was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Edward Aubry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,925,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible