Math Curse by Jon Scieszka

Math Curse (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Jon Scieszka (Author), Lane Smith (Author)

When the teacher tells her class that they can think of almost everything as a math problem, one student acquires a math anxiety which becomes a real curse.
Member:kvanputten
Title:Math Curse
Authors:Jon Scieszka (Author)
Other authors:Lane Smith (Author)
Info:Viking (1995), Edition: Library Binding, 32 pages
Rating:***
Tags:#read3373, #mathematics, #middleschool, #mathforeveryone

Math Curse by Jon Scieszka (1995)

Numbed! by David Lubar (Runa)
    Runa: Numbed! is for older readers, but both heavily focus on students who have some kind of math related curse put on them.
    The I Hate Mathematics! Book by Marilyn Burns (Runa)

Math curse is a book about how a girl is finding everything in her life to be a math problem. A math teacher can read this book to students, when learning about how math relates to everyday life. Students will realize that everything in their life could be a math problem, and it will provide them with interesting examples. ( )
  ElizabethFonseca | Oct 4, 2020 |
This book is about a child who from the beginning of the story is faced with many problems that require math in order to solve them. Some of these problems include how long he has to get ready, how many cupcakes everyone gets for the class party, and how much money he has in his pocket. I think this would be a great book to read to any math class to show students why math is important in every day activities we all participate in. ( )
  sep067 | Sep 30, 2020 |
Book challenges readers to solve riddle like math problems as the main character can't seem to escape how math is everywhere! ( )
  cblanco | Apr 28, 2020 |
Math Curse is about a young girl who sees everything as a math problem because of her teacher. Tuesday morning, she wakes up thinking in math terms. She has to figure out her daily routines like how many shirts in the closet, how much time she has left to be at the bus stop, how much milk is left in the cereal, etc. In the end, finally, her math curse is solved. This is a great book for students to learn and understand different math concepts. I know they'll love this book like I do. ( )
  EveYoung | Apr 28, 2020 |
This book shed such a fun light on math. When I was in elementary school, I did not think it was possible for math to be fun, but this book easily makes it more enjoyable. With all of the questions, riddles, and play of words, it really gets children thinking in a fun way. The only downside to this book, is that the person reading it would have to really know their audience and make sure they are aware of some topics. For example, the money problem, if the audience did not know what president was on which dollar or change, then they would not be able to solve the problem. However, this was fun to read and definitely something that would be perfect to either start a lesson with or end a lesson with. ( )
  aengolia | Apr 27, 2020 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
If the sum of my nieces and nephews equals 15, and their product equals 54, and I have more nephews than nieces, HOW MANY NEPHEWS AND HOW MANY NIECES IS THIS BOOK DEDICATED TO? --J.S.
If I divide the number of years my dad was an accountant (30) by the number of years I needed help with my math (30), I get one (1) dedication: FOR DAD (THE C.P.A.)--L.S.
ON MONDAY in math class, Mrs. Fibonacci says, "YOU KNOW, you can think of almost everything as a math problem."

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,421,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible