Galley Proof by Eric Arvin

Galley Proof

by Eric Arvin

Review will be word-for-word as included in the Eric Arvin Greatest Hits review.

This is a story about Logan, a writer who, by way of meeting his new editor Brock, comes to an epiphany about life and himself: that he can do better, that he's become stuck in a rut and that he's never really known himself before. It's also, I noticed, another short that is within the same world – Verona College – as Simple Men and Another Enchanted April.

I normally hate first person POV's (rather like Logan) but this one appealed to me, because it wasn't overbearing. Plus, Logan is a great character. Like a lot of Arvin's characters, he's a real hoot at times and sad, lonely and desperate at others. I'm not saying it's a theme, just that most people generally are and Arvin's characters are nothing if not real.

Logan is a good kind of weird; every bit the loner, routine-loving writer than I am myself. That I'm sure most of us are. Brock is the opposite; a little wounded deep down, he tries hard to live life to the fullest and be free. As a couple, they have a lot of teach each other and sometimes the lessons aren't always successful.

The side characters, of which there are a lot, are brilliant. Grace, Lucille, Vera, Cassie and Janey are all a little insane, very much mischievous and dangerously charming. The women are a group of gaggling mischief-makers, who liven things up from time to time.

The men – Curtis, the stuffed shirt; Roberto, the inarticulate muscle man; Marco, the Italian stud and a few more minor characters – are all varied in their greatness, attitude and ego. It's great to see the way that one character – Logan – is affected and can affect such a vast array of characters. It's a wonderful journey and learning curve, at the same time. The only character I didn't like was Bo, someone that Logan also didn't like. Though, I will admit that he wasn't really utilised appropriately; I would have liked to understand why he and Brock were such good friends all their life, when he was the way he was.

The story was at a great pace, with brilliant characters and an intriguing storyline. However, it fell short, just a little. There was something “off” about it that I can't put my finger on. Something that asked for depth or something that all the other stories in his Greatest Hits have given me, but that this one didn't. And, no, it's not the crying. It's something...deeper...with a little more substance. But, something I can't find the words to describe, so maybe it's just me?

I would have liked for Logan to open up about his talk with Brock's father, for Logan not to have turned into a total slut the minute he entered Europe on his grand rediscovery of himself and for Brock to maybe question him on that thoughtless search for mindless action. But, overall, it was a great adventure and a great new set of characters to bond with and love.

My favourite quote has to be the fun and silly:

“He was Henry Higgins. I wasn't even Eliza Doolittle. I was Neill, still choking up bits of chicken.” ( )
  ElleLainey | Dec 30, 2017 |
The first third was funny, the middle floundering, and the ending was predictable. 2.5 stars. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
I'll review later, but there is ZERO cheating in this book so for anyone that has been worried about starting it for that reason go right ahead and read. Its fantastic. ( )
  Peepers82 | Sep 22, 2013 |
I have to say I read some of the reviews below and I'm sorry I did. I have to wonder if these people even read the same book I did. Not a romance? What? It was the best romance I've read in a long time. Open relationships and cheating? Huh? None of that either. What there was is loads of character development, great dialog and humor with a side of wacky friends. Sure there are some unbelievable coincides, but this is fiction and if it's done well, as it is here, it's forgivable. There were quite a few laugh out loud moments and nice happily ever after as a reward for taking the journey. If you're looking for an intelligent and humorous romance, you'll find it here but if you want a typical storybook romance I'd look elsewhere. ( )
  Shanna_McConnell | May 11, 2013 |

Fiction writer Logan Brandish is perfectly happy in his peaceful small-town routine with his best friend, his cat, and his boyfriend-until he meets the editor of his next book, the handsome Brock Kimble, and the lazy quiet of everyday living goes flying out the window. Faced with real passion for the first time, Logan becomes restless and agitated, and soon his life and his new manuscript-a work in progress he'd always thought would be completed-are in a shambles. But as Logan is learning, you can't always get what you want... at least not right away. To take his mind off the mess, he takes a trip, but even the beautiful Italian, um, scenery can't keep his thoughts from his erstwhile editor for long. Logan just might have to admit there are some things you can't run from.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,065,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible