Unlike a Virgin by Lucy-Anne Holmes

Unlike a Virgin

by Lucy-Anne Holmes

245443,774 (4)None

The story is told from Gracie’s point of view and she had me smiling from the first page with her wry observations on her job, her boyfriend, friends and family.

As a child, Gracie was a talented singer but since her Dad passed away when she was sixteen she hasn’t sung in public. We meet Gracie ten years later working as a successful Estate Agent. Her life is going according to her carefully plotted Five Year Plan but things soon begin to go wrong. As her plans for the future fall flat one by one she finds herself drawing on the strength her Dad provided and the songs they used to sing together.

Unlike a Virgin is one hundred percent Gracie’s story and Lucy Ann Holmes has perfectly captured her thoughts and feelings in a chatty and easy to read style. The story isn’t all laughs though and touches on some heartbreaking issues, particularly bereavement and loss. I don’t want to give out any spoilers but I thought Lucy-Anne Holmes dealt with the difficult situations that Gracie finds herself in in a refreshingly honest and open way and there is a lot that readers will be able to relate to in this book.

Gracie is supported by a fun and varied cast of characters all of whom are just as well written as our leading lady. My personal favourites were Gracie’s builder friend and ‘ Bob’ and pub owner Anton but the banter between Gracie and her new boss and her best friend Wendy was also fantastic and really had me chuckling. I was really impressed with the mix of characters included in this novel.

Despite everything in Gracie’s plans going awry, this is a really feelgood novel and one of my favourites of the year so far. As Gracie faces her fears and decides what she really wants from the future Unlike a Virgin has a lovely message about following your dreams and being true to your heart. The romantic in me absolutely loved the ending and with three possible love interests for Gracie, I was gripped for the whole book!

Gracie is definitely up there with my favourite leading ladies and I really hope that Lucy-Anne decides to bring her and her friends back for back for future novels. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
Such a fantastic book. Looks like it will be so light and fluffy. But so heartwarming, and sometimes sad, when you actually read it. Will definately be re-reading this one. ( )
  Catigerine | Oct 6, 2014 |
a well written and entertaining account of how genetics control sex and the reproductive process, and where science and technology may be taking us. I didn't think I would like it, but found it fascinating and compelling. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
This is the first Lucy Anne Holmes I've read. I absolutely adore this book. It has the right amount of humor, romance and heartbreaking moment. I definitely couldn't put it down as I read along. A fun read. ( )
  NashNordin | Jun 21, 2012 |
Hated the ending! ( )
  Seiera | Jan 14, 2012 |

Gracie is very focused. Her favourite book is 'The 5-Year Plan: Making the Most of Your Life'. And her five-year plan is going very well. That is, until she is usurped from her big promotion by a handsome, posh idiot; she is dumped by her boyfriend; and she discovers her loopy mother is facing bankruptcy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,919,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible