Hopeless Magic by Rachel Higginson

Eden was a bit more enlightened this time around although she was still being a love sick teenager. All she could see was her and Kiran, nothing else, she was blinded by her love for him. She couldn't open her eyes and see what's taking place around her, what's happening to her people. She also didn't have any respect for herself when she was okay with sneaking around with Kiran when he was betrothed to another. I had hoped she would tell him she couldn't see him anymore while he's still engaged to Seraphina. She has to see Seraphina all over him everyday and him giving her presents and taking her out, and accept it. But it was okay for him to be openly jealousy and cause a scene when she's with Jericho.

I couldn't believe it when Eden was hoping to get Lucan's approval to marry Kiran, didn't she see how bad that was. She wanted the approval of the man who's been hunting her parents for a 150 years to kill them, the man who's ancestors have being trying to kill her grandfather for centuries. How could she want to be in the same place with this man. Eden was never able to see the big picture she was living in a teenage fantasy world where the only thing important to her was her boyfriend. Yes, she is a teenager but she wasn't too young to grasp the situation her people are in and that she and her brother are their only hope.

I always believed that Kiran loved her but I also knew he was his father's son and wondered, how much like him his he? I didn't think she was fooling Kiran and his father anymore about her relationship with Amory and Avalon. But Eden was naive enough to believe that. Avalon and Jericho gave up on convincing her about her blindness to things since she wasn't happy with them when they tried.

Don't know who Eden will end up with in the end, Kiran or Jericho. Since Jericho appeared I've be so on on his team and then I found out he was into her, and she obviously has strong feelings for him too. I've been hoping she might choose him but Eden feels Kiran his her soul mate and nothing can happen between her and Jericho. It seemed impossible for her and Kiran and his public affections towards Seraphina didn't have to be like that since it was an arranged engagement. But I prefer Jericho mostly because I want it to be him, his love for Eden is so pure and honest.

I just knew that something terrible would have to take place for Eden to realize the importance of the need to take action and bring down the monarchy. Of course it had to be at the expense of her family and friends. I think Avalon and Amory knew what was going to happen when Eden accepts Kiran's proposal but they didn't talk her out of it and probably decided they would sacrifice themselves for her safety. I was bawling and yelling at the pages towards the end of the book, it was such a sad ending. Can't wait to see how Eden sets out to make things right in the next book. ( )
  ItsBookishMe | Oct 22, 2016 |
Again, same as book one, there is a need for more editing to get it up to publication standard and is over punctuated etc, but I still enjoyed the story. This one finished even more abruptly than the first through and there leaves no doubt that it is a ploy for sales. The storyline does continue to build from book one but feels as if it is moving away from the romance sub-genre and focus' on the fantasy elements. Not that there is no romance whatsoever in this book, because of course there is - it's just different and a little demeaning.
All in all, I enjoyed it as much as the first and found myself just as gripped. I would still recommend the series. ( )
  ClaireMitchellT | Apr 12, 2013 |

After returning home from Romania, and successfully saving her best friend Lilly, Eden Matthews must now come to terms with her future as an Immortal. She is in love with the Crowned Prince, but he is betrothed to someone else. Her family desperately wants her to join their rebellion, but that would mean fighting against her one, true love, Kiran Kendrick. She must fight off assassins that want her dead, an Immortal rite of passage that takes her to India and a deadly disease that no one has thus far survived. Danger seems to lurk around every corner as Eden struggles to keep her true identity a secret and protect those that she loves. Eden must find a way to be with Kiran, or turn her back on him forever and fight to save her people. Hopeless Magic is the second installment of the Star-Crossed series.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,695,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible