K.A.R.M.A by Grant McKenzie

K.A.R.M.A

by Grant McKenzie

I thought the concept for K.A.R.M.A was interesting. I still think it's interesting. But I couldn't go any farther than Ch. 11. It's not that it's horribly written (well, the dialogue could be better), or littered with grammatical errors, there's just something off about the focus. There's too much emphasis on details that don't need it, and where it could be developed, it's glossed over. I know this is vague, but I don't want to leave too many spoilers for those that this doesn't bother (I admit - I'm particularly picky about what I read) and are reading or would like to read the book. For me, there's also an issue of plausibility. I read fiction. Fiction is fake. But to have a good story, even if it's vampires or faeries or zombies (nothing of that nature in this book, just an example), there has to be an air of plausibility, a hint that this could be happening... some root in something in which the reader is familiar or identifies. I am thinking of a very specific thing, but I can't do this without a bit of a spoiler, so stop reading now if you don't want to know.

SPOILER

IS

COMING

NOW

SPOILER: Hackett gets photos of a murder victim. A cop, who happens to be his uncle, tells him basically to scram. Yes, the cop is shaken, it's a gruesome murder, but all he tells Hackett to do is get out of there. Eight chapters later (in the interim, Hackett's sold the pictures of the murder victim to the press), he gets a call from his mom that his Uncle Bob died. Yes, the same Bob that was killed in the park. Now... What's plausible: if he never met his non-cop uncle, he'd not recognize him. Fine. What's not plausible: his mom calls, acts like he knows his uncle, and then, oh shit, that body was my Uncle Bob! Since this is pretty much a basis for what's happening and going to be happening in the book, I just can't get past it. ( )
  Amy_Jesionowski | Nov 3, 2015 |
The scenes were vivid, the action smooth and fast paced and most important, the characters were believable. These are all parts of why this book is great, but more impressive was the story - a different twist on revenge. Criminal sexual abuse is a horrid crime - but the thought that children endure such atrocities makes most cringe. Grant McKenzie brought this topic to life, with characters that felt real, and were easy to empathize with in their plight. I recommend this book to everyone. It was eye opening, action packed, and worth your time spent. 5 Thumbs up Grant. #eBook ( )
  ElisabethZguta | Nov 7, 2013 |

?K.A.R.M.A. is one fine piece of work"--Andrew Vachss, New York Times bestselling authorIn Seattle, an aging mutual-funds salesman falls prey to the lure of a young boy's flesh;In New York, a 10-year-old plunges an ice pick into the heart of a street hustler to prove his love for a girl he met on the Internet;In Chicago, a young girl waits in the rain outside a seedy downtown bar for a man she's never met to stagger home;In Vancouver, a teenager waits patiently on a deserted rooftop for a signal that one of North America's most notorious murderers is about.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,835,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible