My Mind's Abyss by Volatalistic Phil

My Mind's Abyss

by Volatalistic Phil

412,355,249 (4)None

Usually, I will read a memoir only if the author has created or accomplished something that I consider significant, or if the author lived in a time or a place I find interesting. Volatalistic Phil hasn’t accomplished anything that I’m aware of and he’s from nowhere I’d ever want to go. But V.P. believes that he has a purpose on Earth, and I kept thinking that eventually that purpose would be revealed. But, no. So it’s a frustrating read.
It’s also a difficult read. He jumps from recounting the facts of his life to philosophical musing, self help salvos, hallucinations, fantasies, personal letters & e-mails and back. My favorite non-sequitur occurs when he quotes Aristotle and then, apropos of nothing, ruminates on the fickleness of eggs. It’s anarchy spelling and grammar, and he sometimes uses words incorrectly, which drives me crazy.
V.P’s life history is pretty miserable. His alcoholic father abandons the family, he grows up to be a self-loathing alcoholic himself, and he has a series of failed, dysfunctional relationships. Despite his circumstances, V.P. isn’t really negative. He doesn’t feel victimized. He isn’t a whiner or a navel-gazer. He is interested in other people. Some writers don’t care if nobody ever reads what they’ve written, but V.P. wants to communicate. So maybe writing will become his raison d’etre. ( )
  USCLibrary | Dec 10, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible