The Spirit Box by JH Glaze

The Spirit Box

by JH Glaze

I know, I’m slow when it comes to posting the reviews and I’m sorry, but I’ve had a lot of finals lately ;) THIS BOOK ROCKS! It rocked my world from the beginning! The Spirit Box is so full of mystery, twists, and turns and is quite a spooky book at times.
I could not put it down, I took it with me everywhere (I *When it comes to the language in the book I have one word: Adult*
  Wasabiishot | May 9, 2017 |
J.H. Glaze gave me the privilege to read his book. I hadn't read the excerpt or anything. This book was not my normal read. I normally read more of the paranormal young adult books. This book was centered more on the adult readers due to a lot of bad language and visuals the author writes. However, I was impressed on how well written and thought out the book was. It had many twists in it that I did not foresee. The story starts out decades earlier where a women enters a shop and the owner sells a wooden box to her, which he states is special and shows her how so. Later, we find that the women fulfills her dream and opens an antique shop and has a son named Walt. Low and behold, after she dies the box calls out to Walt and there we go on a journey with him. We also have Detective Hazard who is chasing murderers and missing people through the story that eventually gets connected to Walt. The ending is rather interesting on how everything comes to gather and what happens to the spirit box. I gave this book a four star rating because it was good, but I could do without a lot of the bad language. I was, however, very impressed with the book. ( )
  Merisha_Abbott | Aug 1, 2013 |
Before I start the umpteenth attempt of this review I feel I need to share something about how I go about reviewing books. I never read a blurb of a book I have to review, I never read other reviews about the book I am about to review. Why? Well because I don't want others impressions to influence my own. After I've written a review I will go and fetch the blurb from Goodreads or some such. Ill then read it and after I have posted the review will I go and read other reviews. That being said, I think it is a stupid method. I've never needed help more.
The Sprit Box is a vastly complicated book and as a reader you will soon find that your own life experience leads you to fill in the grey areas. This is the part that makes the book truly terrifying.
There are four main characters in this book. Walt, the owner of a box so ancient and evil it is indestructible. The second main character is detective John Hazard, a small town cop who has a John Wayne complex with Navy Seal training to boot. The Spirit Box, evil incarnate and lastly beer. Yes. I wrote beer, no need to dust off the reading glasses.
Remember I stated that a reader's own personal experience will guide and fill in the grey areas in this book. For me, the constant need of Walt to open a beer, have a beer, buy a few beers is as much a characters as is Walt himself. But more on the beer later, I know by now, you are thirsty!
This is in essence a story about need, greed, obsession and most of all perception. The last of which gets thrown out of the window with such a bang that it left me reeling three quarters through the book!
Walt is not a good guy but he is human. His need, his greed and obsessions are all very human in nature. His inability to think his choices through is however the one thing that makes him into the neighbor, the colleague, the brother - you know Walt, I can guarantee you that.
Detective John Hazard is a Navy Seal trained police detective. He falls over a cat, steps through rotten floor boards and fall face first into stacked decomposing bodies. He is your neighbor, your colleague, your brother - by now you know the drill, you know a John.
What sets them apart is not their differences but their choices and again their perceptions of life. Neither of the characters are written in very flattering terms. But the reader will find himself cringing when Walt makes another disastrous decision, rooting for Walt against all logic. We are hard wired to root for the good guy, and you do, but you won't necessarily like Hazard.
Author JH Glaze has written a horror that feeds off the readers most dark and secret file systems. He had me laughing and rereading a section three times in the book, my first reaction was shocked incredulity, then shocked humor and lastly simply pure enjoyment of a situation that has some women in Walt's town up in arms, well not literally, but in very unflattering positions nonetheless.
The story itself, at times has a strong resemblance to the classic The Monkeys Paw by W W Jacobs where the monkeys paw is a talisman. In this case the talisman would have to be beer. Well at last elucidation of my reasoning. Walt's single minded pursuit of alcohol gets him into situations where he experiences the full consequences of his decisions. For me in this book, beer became the silent partner if you wish.
But what is so horrible and so utterly terrifying that it makes this book a must read for any one regardless of whether a horror genre enthusiast? I would say the basic simplicity of the story. What would you do, dear reader if you're presented with a box and told to not look inside?
I usually have a rating system of6/5 starts for a book that I loved, recommend and would gift to a friend. But I am revising that. I am giving this book a 7/5 start rating. I found a book I loved, a book that scared me, that made me want to discuss it to death, and had me recommending it to friends. So why the 7th star... I walked through my house reading while I did chores cause I simply could not put it down. ( )
  Wanda_Hartzenberg | Jun 1, 2012 |
From the beginning of this book, you are taken on a ride of an old tale combined with a mystery that end up intersecting with one another. The characters are well developed and familiar in that you probably know or have seen someone just like them in real life and the plot itself is somewhat flat yet you can't stop reading for some reason. ( )
  SweetReaderMA | May 7, 2012 |
If you enjoy murder mystery stories, Mr. Glaze has written the story for you. The Spirit Box is a story definitely about a box that steals spirits from unsuspected people that are brought to it. It needs the spirits in order to come back to life one day and the box does a favor for a favor. Walt’s mother has passed away and left him her antique shop along with the apartment above it. He’s dreamt about the box and finds it where his dreams have sent him. Detective John Hazard has been assigned a double homicide in his town where there isn’t much that ever happens. Then people start to disappear and he has to investigate where they have gone and who is responsible for 2 murders as well. As he does his investigation, his suspect is one of the people that have disappeared. Can he find his suspect before someone else dies? Walt’s lonely life is about to change for him. Always remember the saying “be careful what you wish for”. Mr. Glaze did a great job keeping you in suspense in this thriller. I’d be interested to see where Detective Hazard goes from here. ( )
  JacquieTalento | Apr 30, 2012 |

A Paranormal Horror/Thriller that delivers. It's a unique tale that reshapes and redefines the Modern Paranormal Genre. When Walt Turner's mother died, he inherited her apartment and the antique shop below. After losing his job due to the treachery of a co-worker, The Spirit Box calls to him from the darkness of the shop with an offer of revenge. Lured by the promise of ultimate power and eternal life by the prisoner inside the box, Walt agrees to help it gather the final spirits it requires to return to human form. John Hazard is investigating a series of murders and missing persons in this otherwise quiet town. His perceptions of reality are about to be altered in a life changing confrontation that will force him beyond the boundaries of darkness and ancient evil. It is a spiraling descent into madness, where you may have everything you desire, if only you are willing to sacrifice all that you believe. When you look into The Spirit Box, be prepared to have more than your breath taken away.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,170,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible