City of Champions by Daniel Stanton

City of Champions

by Daniel Stanton

141683,257 (2)None
ebook (1) fiction (2) K (1) Kindle (1) S (1) thriller (1) to-read (2) untagged (1)

This is a mix of good and bad for me with a distinct advantage for the bad. One the positive side the story captured my interest and had some good suspense going after the first 50%. Also some of the characters were quite interesting and well developed. Some observations were quite poignant.

On the negative side were the over the top violence, the over the top bad-ass-ness of the hero and the descriptive narration style. I had to skip some pages in every chapter as I am not overly interested to read several pages of description of surroundings (fences, concrete, sidewalk, buidling etc.). That took some of the drive out of the story. Also on the minus side: the strange interpunction. Very, very often three points in direct speach… no comma before or after names in direct speach and some other stuff that made reading it strenous. I am not a native speaker and grammer or spelling errors irk me to no end.
But the worst thing: the hero himself. Bid bad-ass ex-Delta. I didn’t like him. And that more or less ruined the whole thing for me. There is intense violence in this story, and normally I can endure that, but the grade of violence here administered by the „hero“ (including torture) doesn’t do much to endear him to me. Also in the end he is the stupid one, while the main culprit gets away and taunts him. I am not sure if the two-girls-gambit should be a James-Bond-hommage? Normally with 007 one of the girls dies, here she just breaks up with him before anything interesting can happen. Only saving grace: that the culprit was an unusual choice. All in all I was disappointed, although some glimpses of greatness shone through.
  Tam2603 | Apr 18, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,931,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible