The Calypso Directive by Brian Andrews

The Calypso Directive

by Brian Andrews

362449,325 (4)1

This was our book for book club this month - what a pleasant surprise! We don't normally have thrillers on our list, but one of the ladies had heard of this new release and hosted the book. The story follows Will Foster, who unknowingly possesses a DNA mutation that is highly attractive to pharmaceutical companies. He enlists the help of a past girlfriend and the two race to outrun Vyrogen Pharmaceuticals and a Think Tank hired to find him before Vyrogen does. The medical research was detailed and interesting but understandable. To me it was reminiscent of The Bourne Identity and in my head, Will Foster looked a lot like a young Matt Damon ☺. ( )
  zemt21 | Jun 15, 2012 |
I am not the biggest fan of thrillers. While they are almost always very exciting, and while I frequently find myself blazing through the pages at an alarming pace I inevitably find them unsatisfying upon completing them. A common exclamation after reading the final page is something along the lines of "That's it? It's over? That is how it ended?" Like riding a nauseating roller coaster at an amusement park, it's thrilling for a bit but it ends before you know it and it will probably leave you with an urge to vomit that lasts longer than the duration of the ride itself.

A few things will make me take the plunge however. Ones set during a epidemic, dealing with bioterrorism, or with a strong foundation built with biology or science in general will pique my interest. Okay fine, I'll also admit that I'll read pretty much anything with a biohazard symbol slapped on it. Seriously. So, as far as thrillers go The Calypso Directive was right up my alley, and as it turns out it was a thoroughly enjoyable read!

I'm always hesitant to summarize books of this sort. Thrillers are to be experienced, and having foresight into the story lessens the experience for the reader of the summary. So, basically, the book is about a man named Will Foster who is being quarantined against his will by a shady medical research institute. He escapes with a vial of yersinia pestis and another of some unknown substance and so begins the obligatory high-stakes game of cat-and-mouse.

I naturally found myself with a dubious raised eyebrow a few times while reading the novel as there are numerous unlikely improbables, but I associate this trope with the thriller genre itself. The science in this novel is both solid and intriguing, which is what I cared about most. I liked the characters, the story had me hooked, and the ending is fairly well done for a first book in a series. The reader will make you desperate for a new installment as the plot is left wide open, but it's not a cliffhanger and is conclusive enough to feel satisfying.

Overall The Calypso Directive was a very enjoyable read for me. Exciting, science-y, what's not to like? 4 stars. ( )
3 vote Ape | May 11, 2012 |
The hospital gown he wore was faded and weightless. After hundreds of washings, it was more tissue paper than clothe.

Against all odds, Foster escapes his laboratory prison and steals a virulent strain of bubonic plague as insurance. To help him unravel the mystery inside him, Foster contacts the only person he can trust—a former lover and microbiologist living Vienna—and the two become fugitives, hunted across the heart of Europe.
Under the guise of averting a plague pandemic, Vryogen hires an elite, underground Think Tank to track down Foster. But when the team sets a trap for for him, they discover they are not the only ones in the hunt. In a race against two deadly assassins, can the brilliant minds of the The Think Tank unravel the truth before time runs out for their quarry?

An unprecedented genetic mutation, an underground think tank, and an unscrupulous pharmaceutical company collide in this dazzling debut thriller. For one hundred and fifty-five days, Will Foster has been locked in medical quarantine without his consent. The doctors claim he is infected with a deadly virus, but this is a lie. Encoded in his DNA is a mutation that provides immunity from disease for all who possess it, source code that Vyrogen Pharmaceuticals aims to commercialize as a multi-billion-dollar gene therapy.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Brian Andrews's book The Calypso Directive was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Brian Andrews is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Arcade Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Arcade Publishing.

Editions: 1611454948, 1628726652

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,763,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible