The Initiate by Megg Jensen

Great novella from start to finish. The only negative is it was too short. I WANT MORE!!!! Megg Jensen is awesome a usual. ( )
  BookLibertyLove | Jun 18, 2014 |
Eloh is the initiate. Picked as one of 10 girls who will be sacrificed to the Gods in hope that one of them will be The Chosen One. We hang out with Eloh before she hits the stage as her makeup is applied and we learn a little bit about this strange custom, reasons for sacrificing young girls, her family and boyfriend Ben.

Short stories and novellas often have problem that there is not much place for character development. But here we get to know Eloh pretty well. Other characters feel flat compared to her, especially Ben her boyfriend (I just could not feel the love).

The story length is good, not too long or too short. There is enough information and mystery to intrigue us to learn more about this strange world and to find out what will happen next.
The writing is a little bit simple (problem with most books written for young adult audience), but again this is too short to get a real taste of what Megg Jensen is capable for. I will have to read [b:Anathema|10574690|Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)|Megg Jensen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327939819s/10574690.jpg|15088017] before giving any final conclusion.

This review is also posted on Amazon and my blog. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
Eloh's people sacrifice ten female initiates every year. Every year they watch as they all burn to death because their God's don't want to save them. This year is different however. A girl will be spared and a prophecy will be told.

I found this to be a lot better than Anathema and Sleepers. Go figure. This is an excellent way to start a trilogy, or better yet, TWO trilogies ( )
  cindyXIII | Nov 7, 2012 |
“Don’t tear up, Eloh,” she told me.

Before Anathema...

Before Sleepers...

There was The Initiate

Over a thousand years ago, the gods left Eloh's people and took their magic with them. To win back their favor, her people sacrifice ten female initiates every ten years. No has ever survived. There has never been a Chosen One.

Forced into becoming an initiate, Eloh will try to find a way to beat the odds, stay with her boyfriend,survive the fires that threaten to consume her. But will her lack of faith in the gods and her disbelief in their magic doom her to a painful death?

[retrieved 7/16/2013]

Megg Jensen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,742,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible