Mirror, Mirror (Print) (Dutch Edition) by…

Mirror, Mirror (Print) (Dutch Edition)

by Majanka Verstraete

222,551,640 (3)None
Recently added byanaavu, ReviewsbyMolly

Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/2011/12/review-mania-day-1-mirror-mirror.html

I tried to like this books, I really did. I usually love horror. The haunted mirror was a great idea, but the execution was poor.

The first thing that really bothered me was the conversation. This is why YA is so difficult. Either the author tries too hard to make it seem believable or not hard enough. In this case, not hard enough at all. No teenager in his right mind talks like the way these people do. It really lessens the characters' relatability. Apart from that, the narration still needs some work. Okay, maybe we can chalk that up to inexperience this time, but she better work on her narration style on her next novel. So far, it sounds like a 12-year-old was given free reign. After around 100 pages, it does start to get better though. The conversation is more normal and the book is easier to read overall.

I don't mean to trash the novel, but it isn't very original either. Imaginary footsteps, people in her room at night and too-vivid nightmares, it is the most predictable thing ever.

The characters are probably the only redeeming quality. Most horror novels have the care-worn protagonist who sees ghosts or whatever and then all her "friends" who don't believe a word she says until she can provide valid proof and by then it's too late. If that had been the case, I would truly have performed an elaborate facepalm. As it is, the characters are well-made and the best friend actually acts like a friend and believes her even when she seems a little crazy.

The other thing I love about the book is the cover. I know, I know I'm superficial. I just made fun of the book and I'm now talking about how great the cover is. Oh well, kiddos. Bear with me. I think the cover is gorgeous, especially for a self-published book. It conveys the dark mood well and I love the font and all the layout really.

So all in all, it wasn't something I would recommend to older readers, but young horror readers might really enjoy it. I suppose I'd recommend it to ages 9-14.

*I received this book through Enchanted Book Tours coordinated by Majanka (the author). ( )
  anaavu | Jul 10, 2012 |
What would YOU do if you found an old, beautiful, antique mirror in an attic of old run down house? Would you keep it, or toss it? That's what Majanka Verstraete creates in Piper's story. It's a YA novel that is both intriguing and haunting. Ms. Verstraete's writing style is highly unique and her characters gripping.

Piper is a normal everyday teenager, who has one fascination in life....antique things. She loves helping her mom renovate old houses in their town, and restoring them to livable conditions, and she loves the things she finds among them. That's why, when she finds this mirror in one of the houses, she decides to clean it up and keep. It's beautiful when it's restored and makes a perfect addition to her mirror-less room.

But, when her best friend Alison sees the mirror, she warns Piper that it doesn't feel like a normal every day mirror....it feels a bit evil. Piper says no, but not longer after, things start to happen....strange, creepy things, and Piper can't help but wonder if Alison just might be right.

And Joey....he's Alison's boyfriend, but it seems that every thing that happens with Piper and the mirror, he's always right there by Piper's side, leaving her confused and questioning her feelings.

I enjoyed this story very much. It's a bit suspenseful, definitely scary, and a whole lot of fun for paranormal YA readers. I definitely recommend this awesome read with 4 Books to all YA book lovers and all paranormal lovers. Ms. Verstraete has a wonderful talent for creating a story filled with a rollercoaster of ups,downs, ins & outs and an ending that will knock the reader off their seat. I can't wait for another great story by this talented author!

This review originate at Reviews By Molly in part with a blog tour. ( )
  ReviewsbyMolly | Jan 16, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,189,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible